Quaife in LT230 centre diff also lockable?

Dos a centre LSD Quaife in the LT230 box have still a difflock option?

I have read a interesting article about 3x LSD in the drive line of a defender. One front, one rear, and one centre diff.

I think is is a very nice and interesting setup. I would like to hear some experiance

Regards

Theo

Strange. When I look around the web, i find only positive readings about Quaife. Also at Ashcroft they promote this stuf, and say it is stronger than any other. High quality steel, and more internal gears to work together. so less stain per gear.

In what situation do you need a central lock when you have 3 LSD fitted?

:blush:

Ashcroft started making their own LSD to avoid the issues with quaife...

Quality isn't about strong steel, you have to realise that quaife make these things in small batches, several years apart so the introduction of errors into their manufacture process is massive. incorrect pinions, incorrect material, development by selling product are all rubbish ways of producing product.

Quaife have the attitude that these parts are only ever going to be used in motor sports so only have to last one race...

That's my point, with good lsd you shouldn't need a locking centre diff.

This Ashcroft ATB is just a take out / put in thing? I've been thinking in this help, but I'm very concerned in installation difficult, since here in my city there is no a person who can install an ARB technically.... it´s easy to install this LSD? what about the Truetrac? which one is better?

Truetrac is the same (in principal) as Ashcroft's ATB, therefore straight forward to install. Which is better, well there both install and leave it items that work very well. I've seen busted truetrac's and not a single report of issues with Ashcroft's ATB so my suggest is the ATB. ......Maybe a bias opinion as I have one sitting in the garage waiting to replace a 10 spline truetrac.

Todd.

A axle snapping can always happen. Most likely it had already a fracture from a different action.

I have read the ashcroft site, but can not find any info about the centre diff replacment with either a Quaife or other brand.

I have my info out of the HAYNES Land Rover Defender Modifying Manual.

So I sended Ascroft a mail and wait for the answer.

This Ashcroft ATB is just a take out / put in thing? I've been thinking in this help, but I'm very concerned in installation difficult, since here in my city there is no a person who can install an ARB technically.... it´s easy to install this LSD? what about the Truetrac? which one is better?

The expertise needed to install a locker diff is to properly adjust the bearings for preload and good engagement between ring and pinion. This is the same for any diff, be it an open diff, Quaife, ARB or Ashcroft locker/ATB. One way to get around it is to buy a diff already built up in the housing, then it's just a straight swap. The only extra work needed for an ARB or Ashcroft locker is an airline, compressor and a bit of electrickery. While these do represent a reasonable surplus in cost, it is not hard at all to install.

Filip