Coatings

ROGUE TROOPER

So whats the best coating for a 25mm x 25mm x 10mm mild steel with 4 holes each corner 2 with M10 threads 2 straight through holes that will be clamped?

My thoughs are:

Powder coated

Galvanised

Anodised

Painted

Or make it out of Stainless!

It will be a high stress pull apart area lengthways!

galv. if its out in the elememts. zinc plate and passivation for general use and you could paint it later when the passivation looks tired/worn. as zinc and pass only lasts about 120hrs in a continuos salt spray test. powder coat is ok if you use external powder and you dont chip it with wear as it will rust and flake in no time.

So whats the best coating for a 25mm x 25mm x 10mm mild steel with 4 holes each corner 2 with M10 threads 2 straight through holes that will be clamped?

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much what finish you put on it, there won't be much metal left after you drill 4 10mm holes in a piece of 25x25x10mm steel. :P

Seriously, if it is that small I can probably send you a bit of stainless, the cost of any professional finish will be preclusive.

properly applied POR 15.

if it's good enough fot ship hulls then it's good enough for me

POR15 should be POS15 it is utter rubbish

applied exactly as instucted peels off in sheets

biggest waste of time/effort ever.

I only use:

zinc rich red oxide primer

topped with Halfords matt black enamel

lasts longer and is harder wearing

If you get it powdercoated, get it zinc plated first - normal powdercoat is rubbish, IMHO... one small chip and you get horrific crevice corrosion that spreads incredibly fast...

My local guy near East Grinstead does a great job

Agree with that powder coating straight on mild steel is only really designed for indoor use

Need to get the steel galvanised (and get a carp finish) or as above zinc sprayed for a far better looking finish

Cheers

Steve