Lower ratio diffs....

Orgasmic Farmer

Right, second weekend running my mate has blown his rear diff in the 90 due to running 35" tyres. He now has an ARB to install so hopefully this will now stop BUT the last time it blew all we had to hand for repairs was an old series front axle. KNowing them to be "rover" type diffs we stripped it out and managed to rebuild the broken 90 diff using the pin out of the series diff and the undamaged planetary gears from the diff broken the week earlier.

So now to the point of my ramble. While the diffs were apart we got to thinking about ratios. The 90 diff has a 3.54 ratio and the series one is 4.7. Normally when fitting 35" tyres you can get 4.11 R&Ps from Ashcrofts or the like to get back to "normal gearing". Looking at Ashcrofts site they also sell these

4.7 spacer rings

So am I right in thinking that for £36 we can use the 4.7 R&Ps from a pair of series diffs on the 90 carriers (or ARB) to give a much lower set of gear ratios over standard, even considering 35" tyres. I appriciate that high ratio would be lower too (though a disco transfer box could cure this?) but thats not important in what is essentially a pure offroad truck.

Someone tell me it really is that simple. Or am I missing something here (just wondering why this isn't common practice)

Yes, quite correct, but if you get past the first punch you'll be lucky. Believe me I tried it.

I'm now running a KAM 4.75 with the ARB and if I thought I could save my pennies and keep using 4.7s I would have :D

Standard series diffs are made of Chocolate that's been left in the sun too long. I've been there done that and managed to strip the teeth on open diffs using 33" tyres with 50 bhp. My advice is stay away from that ratio on Rover axles; if you want to go that low go for Salisburys.

Guest diesel_jim
Land Rover seemed to get around the problem of weak diffs on Series vehicles by fitting halfshafts that were weaker. I once saw a rear halfshaft snap on a S3 SWB 2.25 diesel when it drove over a kerb :unsure:

:blink::blink: i'm not amazed that the shaft broke driving over the kerb, i'm amazed that the 2.25 diesel had enough power to get it over said kerb!! :rolleyes::D:D:D:D

:blink::blink: i'm not amazed that the shaft broke driving over the kerb, i'm amazed that the 2.25 diesel had enough power to get it over said kerb!! :rolleyes::D:D:D:D

:hysterical:

We run 4.75 kam with no trouble on a 4.2 V8 auto 90

perfect gearing on 35"

the 90 would still cruse at 80 mph could do with ease 90mph but a little scary due to simex...

I have twisted the shafts but that was due to showing of with the tect Dirctor of LR Aus in the truck doing donuts at brickyln farm.. B)

The truck is under going a minor face lift after a minor off in Feb...you may have seen the video..

Ran four pinion converted 4.7's in my old hybrid never damaged one. Killed three LT95 Boxes when the Supercharged 4.6 was in there. Never broke a half shaft either. The four pinion units were built up from LR parts by Martin Lewis. I ran 35x12.50x16 BFG MT's and the vehicle weighed in at over three tonnes.

Most breakage is down to driving style, fact, accept it or ignore it.