Total confusion and conflicting views on tyre sizes

Hi.

Im hopefully going to be getting some new rims and tyres for my 90 very soon (been saying it for 4 months now!!!).

I have been having a look through this and other landy forums as to what tyre size fits a stock 90, and Im getting conflicting views. I know that 265 75 16 will fit, but I have also read alot of threads where people are saying they have fitted 285 75 16 to stock suspension and that they are fine. I will be ordering a set of -35 off set modulars with the tyres.

So, do any of you have or know of anyone with 285 75 16s on a stock landy (remember my rims will be offset), any pictures would be great :D

And hey, I know tyre threads have been done to death, so I apologise in advance!

Thanks a lot

Hello Bike Mike, yeah, at the moment Im having a look at every landy I pass, just to see what the tyre size is! I really like the thought of the 285s, but before I dish out the dosh I'd like to be sure that what Im getting is gonna fit!

Just bear in mid there does seem to be some variation between different brands at the same nominal size, 285s are a tight fit at best, maybe not all will. -35mm offset will probably put the edge of the tyres well outside the wheelarches You sure that's what you mean or will you put wider arches on?

This is my :blush: face, as I would prefer to say that they would be for extreme offroading, but if that were the case I wouldn't just be getting big tyres, to be honest I like the look of off set big tyres, I like my spotters and my raised air intake too! I like my landy looking beefed up :D So I do take it offroad, but nothing mental, I also use it for work in forestry. I am planning of getting some HD springs, I know that would lift her a wee bit. Cheers

running 305 75r16 on 8x16 modulars for the last 6 years or so, had them on a 90 with standard suspension with no rubbing at all, currently got them on a 90 with a 3 inch lift with longer shocks, no problems...

no idea what offset tho... can nip out to the shed and measure one of my spares if someone would be so kind as to remind me where to measure the offset from...

not got any good piccys of the clearance ( just my profile photo, doesnt really show it) but i will try and take some tommorow in daylight with the wheels fully stuffed up into the standard arches...

just went out in the rain/snow to take a few pictures an my batteries went flat..... :angry2: (hope thats the right smiley)

If im really bored in the morning i might pop a big wheel on the scrapper with standard suspension, and take a few clearance shots ( if u dont mind looking at rust)

only issue i can think of is at the back depending on how big your rear silencer is...

Numhskull that would be excellent if you could!!! :i-m_so_happy:

No problem with the silencer as I have a straight through side exit coming out just infront ofthe wheel arch/behind the passanger door ;) Bloody loud, but I love it.

Yeah a view of 285s on standard suspension is what Im looking for. Thanks very much for your help mate :i-m_so_happy::D

No worries Smego, cos Im not wanting to go any bigger then 285s, but if Numhskull can upload a photo of 305s on standard suspension then thats helpfull. Im still under the impression that 285s will rub, but its to what extent that Im concerned about.

285s on modulars on a td5 90 had slight arch rubbing in the feild with loader trailer however fitting genuine lr he rear springs solved that.

You will only ever really have issues with 285s rubbing on the arch spats, you might get them fouling wheel Boca with 'extreme' travel shocks but this does not sound like your intended use. Its also amazing how much extra clearance is gained by a light trim to the base of the spats.

Will.

"Driving on forest roads" use in forestry or proper "in the woods up to its axles in mud winching trees etc." use in forestry?

Both :ph34r: But hey, up to its axles winching trees sounds a bit heaver then it is, there is usually a county or something like that around for the real heavy stuff!

Thought i attach this pic of my landy to this thread, I figure that the keen eyed of you landy enthusiasts may be able to comment about the possible sagging of my suspension, does it look like much? I do have a heavy winch and bumper on the front. Off topic a bit but hey ho.

landy3

Both :ph34r: But hey, up to its axles winching trees sounds a bit heaver then it is, there is usually a county or something like that around for the real heavy stuff!

That was my point, for anything more than access along forest roads/rides, which at worst are just muddy tracks, a County or similar tractor-based unit is the answer. So there isn't any need for anything other than say a good 235/85/R16 mud tyre.

Though of course if you want the look then that will over-ride that! :)

So you're having fun in Scotland then?

Indeed, though not the up-to-the-axles kind of fun. We don't leave the forest road up here in anything less than a full tracked harvester/forwarder etc.

Just did a latenight photoshoot...resized my photos to fit the site...But now it wont let me upload them, the option window thing i used the other day to upload photos seems to be absent.. any ideas or suggestions as to what im doing wrong would be greatly appreciated...

285's on a set of freestyles rub at full articulation on standard springs but only just and that is on genuine bump stops

Freestyles are +33

Standard modulars are 0 or -8; with a 235 on a 7" wheel you have less than 10 mm of arch cover

235's on -8 mods with disco 2 bump stops will rub on the rear at full articulation

So common sense says that at full articulation 285's on 8" mods with a -35 offset will rub the flares - so trim the flares

You will also need to extend the flares to cover the wheels

That was my point, for anything more than access along forest roads/rides, which at worst are just muddy tracks, a County or similar tractor-based unit is the answer. So there isn't any need for anything other than say a good 235/85/R16 mud tyre.

Though of course if you want the look then that will over-ride that! :)

Indeed, though not the up-to-the-axles kind of fun. We don't leave the forest road up here in anything less than a full tracked harvester/forwarder etc.

Just did a latenight photoshoot...resized my photos to fit the site...But now it wont let me upload them, the option window thing i used the other day to upload photos seems to be absent.. any ideas or suggestions as to what im doing wrong would be greatly appreciated...
285's on a set of freestyles rub at full articulation on standard springs but only just and that is on genuine bump stops

Freestyles are +33

Standard modulars are 0 or -8; with a 235 on a 7" wheel you have less than 10 mm of arch cover

235's on -8 mods with disco 2 bump stops will rub on the rear at full articulation

So common sense says that at full articulation 285's on 8" mods with a -35 offset will rub the flares - so trim the flares

You will also need to extend the flares to cover the wheels

Im afraid that m choice for the 285's is mostly led bythe look of it, they way I figure it is that Im going to be buying new rims and tyres for the landy so I had may as well get what I really want.

Nuhmskull - Im afraid that I don't have a clue! But thanks very much for trying :i-m_so_happy:

Common sense, a great thing, and so is peace of mind which is needed when spending £££'s on new wheels. Triming the flares, not a problem, and Im hoping to to be able to do a diy job on them, can anyone point me in the direction of some diy flares/apats/arches, I dont really fancy spending £150 on them.

Thanks very much