Buying from Canada,

unclebill

Well peoples, in this global village I've been trying to buy some stuff from Canada, no one over there will accept our normal credit cards, visa, mastercard.

Short of flying over there with grubby dollars have any of you guys got any experience or ideas, it is vaguely LR related.

Cheers for any ideas.

Or use International money orders more info here

International Money Orders:

Available on demand from most of our branches [barclays Bank]

For amounts up to £10,000 or the equivalent in US dollars, Canadian dollars and Australian dollars

Fixed prices

Although there is no limit to the amount which can be sent using ordinary drafts, other payment services may be more suitable for high-value items where the cost of a draft may be higher than, for example, an International Payment Order or Telegraphic Transfer.

from the above link :i-m_so_happy:

Or use International money orders more info here

International Money Orders:

Available on demand from most of our branches [barclays Bank]

For amounts up to £10,000 or the equivalent in US dollars, Canadian dollars and Australian dollars

Fixed prices

Although there is no limit to the amount which can be sent using ordinary drafts, other payment services may be more suitable for high-value items where the cost of a draft may be higher than, for example, an International Payment Order or Telegraphic Transfer.

from the above link :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers all, even Les, I've used International money drafts to the states, problem in the states is they have a quaint system called credit unions over there, which are like banks, but not really, takes ages to get the money cleared, hadn't thought of pay-pal.

Friends with american credit cards, what are friends??????

Les, can I give your address as I have enough problems with the neighbours over angle grinding etc without my sex life being talked about.

Cheers will investigate pay pal, if not its a money draft and patience.

Bill

I must admit, I've bought things from both Canada and the US using my credit card and never had a problem.

I ordered a GPS online from GPS City in Las Vegus and I've had cheaper things from Canada. The last thing was a Baseball cap that arrive from Toronto just this week, although I paid through PayPal for that.

When we were in Alberta on holiday we even found we could use our Maestro debit cards in Canadian cash machines! :D

Yeah, lots of suppliers in the States seem to have problems with foreign credit cards. As an excuse to include a gratuitous bling shot in this post, I recently ordered my gearboxes from the States using an 'International Money Mover Express Transfer' or something similar, with my UK bank (Lloyds). It took about 4 days to clear and each transfer (there were 2) of roughly eleventy-billion dollars cost about 20 quid, so that's no real bother... Just call your bank, it's easy, quick and cheap. (Bling shot of my order follows:)...

med_gallery_139_25_569765.jpg

Hope that helps, Al.

You are building from the ground-up then Al? :)

I have managed to purchase stuff from the US with my UK card - I had stuff shipped to the UK and also shipped to a US address for onward freight. I have had trouble with other places though. If you use Skype then you can have a good ring-round for pennies and find someone willing to take a UK card/persuade then the shipping outside of the US is easy.

Chris

You are building from the ground-up then Al? :)

Yeah, but check out the low centre of gravity... B)

Do you like my lightweight 'engine'?!? :rolleyes:

I often order stuff from the States on my card - shipped both straight across and via an international 'shipper' (using a US delivery address), but it seems when the prices get a bit bigger (into engine/gearbox territory), they start wanting something more solid in terms of payment...

A few hundred quid is usually ok, but a few thousand seems to have different requirements, I can't understand why to be honest.

Al.

Sorry Daan - missed that the first time.

Lets see... It's not cheap I promise! :o

I don't have the exact figures with me right now, what can I tell you?

There was little difference (!) between air freight which is clear through UK customs in less than a week from arriving at the depot in New York and sea freight which would take around 3+ weeks - I'm talking a difference of around 50 quid in total delivery cost. Negligible. That's for a quarter of a tonne of gearboxes, oils, clutch, flywheel, shifters, other random bling etc... So a pretty big order - in 3 separate packages/crates.

All in for duty/shipping/tax etc was around 25% of the purchase price.

If you have to ask... ;)

Just need to order the engine now...

Hope that helps, Al. :)

*apparently* cough....

use the harmonised code on the consignment to keep the duty down and ask nicely if your supplier will post the "full fat" invoice seperately, and include a "soya milk" invoice with the goodies

but the system works along the lines of;

you pay import duty on the Goods value (if no harmonised code is attached customs and excise slap on whatever classification they see fit)

then you pay VAT on the sum of the transport cost+ goods value + import duty

then you pay the freight forwarders handling charge (plus vat of course)

yay........ taxation :(

Al is that one of Andys gimp cages on the floor in that pic?

Al is that one of Andys gimp cages on the floor in that pic?

Hmm, you're not the first person to ask that, strangely... :unsure:

It is currently modelling the volume my LSx will take up - a mock up engine. But... if the price was right, it could be converted for 'other uses' later on...

Al.