Strongest standard axle setup

mikec

Hi guys just wondering what the thoughts are on the strongest standard axle setups? As it is now I've got standard axles for a early v8 90. the backs getting swapped for a disc axle with ashlocker, that a got from an lse. Also got the same lse front axle because I wanted the shockers outboard of the spring. But I'm aware that the axle I have now has the strong cv joints, which I've already broke one. so what are people reccomending, don't want to spend fortunes on it so no Ashcroft shafts etc.

Also the same for drive members, the ones that have the shaft attached are weaker? Are they?

Mike,

On the rear the strongest you can get will be a salisbury.

My codriver (James) has a heavy right foot and used to run a sals in the back of his. But got fed up of the massive diff. So now has a 24 spline welded center (no good for you on road) with a salisbury shaft in one side and a HD in the other. Both are pretty twisted but they're still holding up :)

On the front we've had good results using the newer defender stuff. Drew (another trialler with a nice 3.9 v8) has given his a fair amount of abuse and yet to break.

Both the above are running aligator tyres and only offroaders.

On mine i've got Kam throughout......i've also got a shelf full of broken Kam :lol: But then again, heavy right foot, big tyres etc don't help.

G

You've said it yourself, you've already broken the strongest factory CV.

24 spline shafts are thought to be stronger, but only the smallest amount.

If your breaking shafts regularly, you don't have much option other than to go for Ashcroft shafts.

For the rear the strongest would be a 24-spline 4-pin setup as used in V8 90s.

For the front, it doesn't really exist. The earlier stronger 23-spline CVs were unfortunately paired with 10-spline shafts/diffs. Later 24-spline shaft/diff axles used the weaker 32-spline CV. The only way to combine the stronger shafts with the stronger CVs is to use after-market 23-24 shafts from Ashcrofts or KAM or the like.

But of the options I'd chose the later axle with 24-spline shafts/diffs, and just go easy on the CVs.

It is good idea, but regularly check shock brackets for cracks etc...i have snapped it twice.

Ah ok that's interesting, at the moment I'm running the tubular twin shock turrets with the Bolt on axle mount, but the lse is a lot neater, maybe if its not too strong I should stick with what I've got?

Mike,

On the rear the strongest you can get will be a salisbury.

My codriver (James) has a heavy right foot and used to run a sals in the back of his. But got fed up of the massive diff. So now has a 24 spline welded center (no good for you on road) with a salisbury shaft in one side and a HD in the other. Both are pretty twisted but they're still holding up :)

On the front we've had good results using the newer defender stuff. Drew (another trialler with a nice 3.9 v8) has given his a fair amount of abuse and yet to break.

Both the above are running aligator tyres and only offroaders.

On mine i've got Kam throughout......i've also got a shelf full of broken Kam :lol: But then again, heavy right foot, big tyres etc don't help.

G

Are the KAM CV's any stronger than standard 24/23 CV's in your opinion? I've had good success by dismantling and dressing all the sharp corners and edges on standard CV's.

The CV's are something we've not broken to be honest, so yes they're strong. Not sure if i like the floating aspect of it, but it's only offroad so not high speed for us.

We have broken all 4 shafts on various occasions as well as numerous stub shafts. I dread to think how many.

G

The CV's are something we've not broken to be honest, so yes they're strong. Not sure if i like the floating aspect of it, but it's only offroad so not high speed for us.

We have broken all 4 shafts on various occasions as well as numerous stub shafts. I dread to think how many.

G

Thanks for that. i've been thinking about getting a pair, as KAM are the only supplier of 23/24 spline female/female CVs to suit my portals. I'm currently running a modified cut and welded Toyota cv 24/23 spline with Rover spider and cage on one side and a 23/10spline RRC joint on the other.

Ah ok that's interesting, at the moment I'm running the tubular twin shock turrets with the Bolt on axle mount, but the lse is a lot neater, maybe if its not too strong I should stick with what I've got?

Nothing stopping you welding in an extra gusset for strength, would be a simple way to do it.

What's the limiting factor? What are your limits on spending, fabrication, etc.?

Limiting factors, ease of getting spares, cost obviously, and something that bolts on :)

It's not a challenge truck and I'd say I'm a fairly sympathetic driver, I.e I know not to go round off road, foot to the floor! But especially with the new engine, I don't want to be changing axles about and making things less strong.

For the rear the strongest would be a 24-spline 4-pin setup as used in V8 90s.

For the front, it doesn't really exist. The earlier stronger 23-spline CVs were unfortunately paired with 10-spline shafts/diffs. Later 24-spline shaft/diff axles used the weaker 32-spline CV. The only way to combine the stronger shafts with the stronger CVs is to use after-market 23-24 shafts from Ashcrofts or KAM or the like.

But of the options I'd chose the later axle with 24-spline shafts/diffs, and just go easy on the CVs.

I should have the 4 pin diff as its a standard v8 90, but are you sure there 24 spline? I thought they were tens?

Just another question on this

Here's a pic of my rr axle, there the thin type shafts I think? What's the crack with these in comparison to the defender two piece type are they weaker? And are they interchangeable with the two piece defender ones? Cheers mike