Noisy tappet 3.5 V8.

Rob_B

I need a little help to diagnose this problem.

Last month I changed the camshaft and all tappets on my V8. The old one was worn badly and so were the old tappets. Changed the timing chain and both gears too.
The old tappets looked like this:
post-14913-0-44290700-1363629638_thumb.jpg

After that it felt like a different engine. Runs smooth and likes to rev a lot better.

But now I hear a tappet ticking while driving. It started doing this the last few day but not all the time. And yesterday it did it all day.

Today I checked the oil pressure. With the oil warmed up I get 2 bar at idle and 3 bar or more when I rev it higher. (29psi idle - 43psi higher revs)
That looks fine to me.

Next I checked if I had oil getting to the rockers. When I run the engine without valve cover I see oil flowing, but only very little. I have no idea what is normal for the V8.

I made 2 videos of this that may help. The first is at idle, the second is at around 1300 rpm. You can see a little oil, but is it normal for the V8 that there is just this little oil there.
I have see modern engine mess up the engine bay in no time when run without oil filler cap.

@idle

@1300rpm

And I could use some suggestions to find out what tappet is making this noise.

Thanks.

Rob.

On mine I had a ticking and squeak, so I looked at the push rod ends where they go into the rockers. These were none too happy on those little steel cups.

They don't seem to be big on chucking oil everywhere with the covers off? Seemed odd to me too.

Have you the 'right' thicker oil in there?

Are you sure the pressure gauge reads right?

Have you the 'right' thicker oil in there?

Are you sure the pressure gauge reads right?

I have always used 20w50. Don't think any thicker would help and maybe cause other problems.

The pressure gauge was from my work and that one is checked every year. Screwed it in the hole where the pressure switch goes for the idiot light. (the gauge on the dash doesn't work)

Did you got the oil holes on the rocker shafts at the right angle so the oil from the pedestal was able to flow properly in to the shaft?

I think they are in the right angle. I didn't take the shafts apart. Took them off as a complete assembly.

What tappets did you use for the rebuild?

This sounds identical to the problem I had. Replaced cam ,tappets, timing chain etc. Britpart kit.

At first it felt like a different engine, but within 500 miles I had a really bad tapping back on one tappet.

Took the rocker covers off and checked the push rods for excess movement. Found one was really loose.

Stripped the top end back down and found this

2011-12-04173323.jpg

2011-12-04172901.jpg

the cup in the tappet had spun round causing damage to the cam, push rod, and rocker cup with it all rattling around.

Second rebuild in 500 miles, this time using OEM tappets and another new cam

Having said all that when I watched your video it does look very dry in there. Check the rocker oil ways aren't blocked if you are sure they are mounted correctly

You can easily run a RV8 with a rocker cover off, without oil splashing everywhere, in fact if it is filling up the heads too much you end up with oil going doing the valve stem seals, yes even the neoprene ones (I found this at my own cost).

Genuine rockers fit the shafts nicely, and don't pour oil, non-genuine just don't and fill the top of the head right to the edge!

Thanks, Bowie. That is the confirmation I needen regarding the oil in the heads.

And the others thanks for your replies too.

I'm ashamed to say the tappets came in a blue box. :unsure: I wanted to keep it cheap for my offroader and too the gamble.

It doesn't make the noise all the time so I'm not sure if it is the tappet or some how the oil pressure. I will fix the pressure gauge on the dash asap. That way I can keep an eye on the pressure when I hear it again.

I'm running on carbs at the moment, but have all most all the parts needed to swap to EFI (megasquirt) When I have the the intake manifold off again I will have a look inside again.

• 2 years later...

I think I have a noisy tappet on number 5, sounds to be coming from there with the rocker cover on. Didn't think that it could be run with the rocker cover off. If that is so I could probably narrow it down further.

Next question is how do I replace a noisy tappet? Can it be done with the engine still fitted? I can see the tappets with the rocker shaft removed but getting to them looks a bit of a challenge.

Holy thread revivals batman!

You do not want to be replacing only 1 lifter on any engine ESPECIALLY rover v8's. The cam and lifters are usually replaced as a set..

At the very least I would change lifters as a set. Genuine ones of course. I would also be checking tolerances of rockers/shafts ;)

lol @ holy thread revivals

So its looking like an overhaul then?

Is there a way to check rocker/shaft tolerances? I can't seem to find anything in the genuine Land rover manual I have about checking rocker tolerances etc.

The RV8 is soooo simple to work on. To check rocker gear, whip off a rocker cover. Any rocker cover coz you can guarantee if 1 side is worn so is the other.....

Remove the rocker shaft from cylinder head complete with springs/rocker arms. It's only 3 or 4 bolts. Once you have the assembly on bench you will see a split pin at either end. Remove these and you can strip the assembly to the point that you will feel if there is any unwanted play between rocker arms on shafts. Just be careful to note order parts are removed.