My front axle is a never ending list of problems!!! *(&#03

<rant>

My front axle is pile f*%^ing sh1te!

After spending some time stripping it, getting it welded up, stripping and cleaning the diff, putting it back under the 110 and bolting it up i've just run a tap through the threads ready to refit the swivel housings etc.

Being pleased that the end is in sight i thought i'd clean the crud from the swivels and give them a once over.

Rusted at the extent of travel in one direction. The f*%^ing thing hates me!

ARSE!

</rant>

Other than that i'm fine.

Have a beer!

As Ralph says, once you've got the rods on and the wheels on and set the travel stops, you may find you're ok...of course its a lot of work to get there...but if you do have to change them at least you'll be practised!

some have removed the corrosion & use chemical metal to fill any depressions then sanded down to a smooth finish, might be worth a go if you don't want or can't spend out on new teflon covered ones, the chromed swivel balls are very hard to find now IIRC.

Put one on and cleaned up the other to find that it's rusted around the centre. :(

New swivels time. :angry:

It's not the cost of new swivels that bothers me, but the fact that what was a simple job "fix leak at bottom of diff pan" has turned in to a maintenance epic.

Bloody annoying that i'll have to wait for new swivels to arrive and then bugger about fitting them and setting them up.

I've abandoned it for now.

Do not give up - just take a break while you wait for the parts, In the end you know it will be right and will last for years to come.

You're right.

I was just a bit miffed as i'd hoped to have it rolling today.

Only the rear crank seal and gearbox swap left after this and then it will be drivable.

I've had a look around for swivels and some kits have come up in the search. Is it safe to assume that the kits have dubious bearings in them?

It's a possibility with the aftermarket kits. And they all seem to come with that grease stuff, which may or may not be correct for your vehicle.

I've used Britpart swivels on mine and they're actually not bad. Used the teflon ones on the 90 and the chrome ones on the Series III and both went on with no issues and appear to be fine so far. I used genuine parts for the rest of it though, bearings/bushes/seals/swivel pins etc.

Stripped a swivel today. Took far longer than i expected too.

Everything eventually came apart ok, but 3 of the swivel seal plate bolts have sheared off.

Tomorrow's job will be to try and get the studs out.

Interesting to find that there was only one gasket on the housing. The lower pin gasket :)

Everything else was gasket free and stuck quite firmly together with black rtv/silicon sealant.

Thank you Mr Anti-Gasket man, whoever you are :banned:

Brake shield is rather holey. Should I care?

I have no shields on my 90 front or rear, when I used to use it off road reguarly for work it used to go through pads at an alarming rate and I would hope that the shields would help stop that. But then they also clog up with mud etc. and make cleaning it a bit more of a pain, so probably a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

Don't go off road much with it now and the pads are lasting fine.

2nd housing dismantled and no bolts snapped today :)

Three from yesterday had to be drilled out. Buggered a remover too. Helicoils for the 3 broken bolts.

Other disc shield is severely rotted, but not holed yet.

Swivel seal backplate is holed though :o

I've been cleaning up the axle bits today and after cleaning the stubs i'm thinking that they might need replacing.

The part of the stub where the bearings sit is thinner than the centre, and one of them looks like the races have spun at some point. The seal land looks to be quite scored too.

post-26972-0-27897800-1365538929_thumb.jpg

post-26972-0-14408500-1365538946_thumb.jpg

If they're original then they've covered 137K.

Are these serviceable or toast?

For £80 you could have bought my spare 110 front axle, complete, in good condition and ready to bolt on. Sounds like you would have saved time and money!

It's turned into a complete rebuild.

No question it would've been cheaper. Probably on the wrong side of £300 now in parts.

If it has the wide pan hard rod bracket i'd buy your axle off you anyhow?

Wide panhard rod bracket? Not come across that one before. It is an original 1983 110 axle so one of the first. Has the strongest CVs, comes with brakes, radius arms, panhard rod etc. As i said ready to bolt on. Just add brake lines and suspension.

I only replaced it during the 110 rebuild as I had a complete late 300 tdi axle from an earlier truck I owned that I had completely overhauled and welded a thicker diff pan on.

PM me if you still want it and we can sort something.

Cheers

Mark

just think of the front axle reliability once its back together though, trouble free (as far as that axle is concerned) motoring for a long time :)

personally, i would put the new swivels, stub axles, and disks and pads on it, then fit and forget it for a while :)

just think of the front axle reliability once its back together though, trouble free (as far as that axle is concerned) motoring for a long time :)

It will be the most exquisite axle in the northern hemisphere :)

It has me worried about what is lurking in the rear axle though :o