Diff help please....10 spline 24 spline????

disco-shane

Hello everyone I have a small question I'm hoping one of you clever people can answer for me.

I have a 1993 land rover discovery 200tdi (K100JER) and it just passed the mot however the rear diff whines and clunks.

After having a look at breakers yards etc I have discovered there are 2 types. Does anyone know which one I should get or was it pot luck what land rover used????

I am no mechanic and it will be going to a fitter so I don't know how to check myself. (yes I know I'm supposed to be a man)

Thanks in advance Shane

Likewise, its a 5 minute job! I am breaking my 1993 200tdi currently and that has 24 spline diffs and shafts throughout as some of the latest ones did, get the number of splines and a picture of the type of halfshaft end you have and go shopping.

Best Wishes

I don't have a jack or a socket set lol.....if I had I may attempt it but buying the tools would cost more than paying to get it looked at.

Thanks for the advice anyway guys you are all a helpful bunch on here ;-)

But you can use the tools again and again, paying someone and you may as well just burn the money!

• 5 weeks later...

Jump in if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, if the hub drive flange is a single piece domed metal affair, it's 10 spline, and if it's a two piece metal star and plastic cone job, then it's 24.

Sorry, badly presented answer. I know the rear axle has an integrated shaft/flange arrangement, which is fairly flat on the 300, but the 300 front was a separate shaft and flange, like on Defenders and my 300 RRC. The 200 has integrates shafts/flanges on both axles, and the flange is a domed affair and has 10 spline diffs. The same is true for RRCs, and Defenders with the thigh drive flanges and longer plastic cones also have 10 spline Rover diffs (110s will have Salisbury rear).

• 7 months later...

Hello shane ive bought this disco coupe of days ago the guy that was selling it was a lier tbh he claimed it was mint wanted no welding never been welded , I know all discos want welding but hay ho

,ive stripped it boot floor good sills well passengers shot ,im replacing with 3mm box section and im replacing rear crossmember chassis is mint tho but ive noticed diff has alot of play did you change it or was it sold like it is as im going through it thx allan

Hello shane ive bought this disco coupe of days ago the guy that was selling it was a lier tbh he claimed it was mint wanted no welding never been welded , I know all discos want welding but hay ho

,ive stripped it boot floor good sills well passengers shot ,im replacing with 3mm box section and im replacing rear crossmember chassis is mint tho but ive noticed diff has alot of play did you change it or was it sold like it is as im going through it thx allan

Welcome to the forum :)

By this time in life all Discoveries need some welding unless they were very lucky and protected from day one with cavity wax etc,.

If in doubt about the diff buy an exchange from Ashcrofts, makes life so much easier and nearly the same price as faffing around sometimes, ask me how I know this :rolleyes:

My 'L' reg 200 tdi Discovery has 24 spline diffs, just took one out thinking it would be ten

L would make it around a late 93/94MY which would coincide with the change over period, my mate Paul has a 94MY German "Sunseeker" model that has 24 spline diffs too, mine is a 1992 and had 10 but now sports 24 as I upgraded them as S/H good 10 splines are hard to find but 24 splines are still plentiful.

Also makes diff lock upgrades in the future easier and cheaper too.

Hi i now own this landy . I travelled 0ver 5 hours to buy it as the guy (not shane) but some absolute timewaster and down right lier covered a few things up and i have to be honest who ever the guy was at the time of mot that tested it must have borrowed stevie wonders glasses ,i knew all landies want a bit of welding but after deciding i like the truck and ive built defenders discos and a s 2a from the ground up i thought ,lets save the old girl.so ive bought new wheels tyres ,as otheres have cracked badly around rims, new sills inc floor section inner and outer rear crossmember new w bearings new suspension and prob lots of other things lol