transfer box

Hi there some more advice, my defender will get to around 60 mph and it's noisyish

I have been looking at the transfer box so here goes

How do I identify my existing box and it's ratio

Which ratio box would be best suited for a quieter , faster drive

How would I identify the ratio on a potential box that I may be interested in buying

How long to change and any mods required

Thanks again

There should be a ratio sticker located near the oil fill/level plug, if its not there you can identify it with its serial number, same with the new one.

Standard Defender tdi's and Td5's have a 1.410:1 ratio and the the best swap is for a discovery 1.222 box.

If its a tdi/td5 I would fit a disco box, if its an earlier N/A or TD I wouldnt bother as they don't have enough grunt to pull the taller gears.

It's not actually as bad as you might imagine - wheels well chocked (and then chocked some more), props off, tunnel out, undo linkages/handbrake etc, undo the bolts holding TB to gearbox and slide it off. However, a big tip is to get some long rods and weld some bolt-ends onto it, same thread as the bolts you're removing. Take one bolt out and screw the rod in. Work your way round, and that way when finished, you can slide the TB along the rods in a straight line, kinda.

When you're done, slide the new box back in along the rods and you'll save screwing the new oil seal up on the way in. You'll need a pal to help with lowering/raising it, it's not so much that it's heavy but it's very lopsided..

Kinda like this...

dsc00348um.jpg

Hi There

I changed my 2002 110 TD5 Utility to a late Disco box, don’t get an early box.. As said doable on the drive but very very heavy, it has put my revs right down and can get 90 quite easily if I wanted, I still tow and once your moving its ok. Better MPG and more road usable, I do around 1500 to 2500 miles a month and it has made the vehicle a good one for long journeys.

I changed mine for a 1.2...then realised land rover got it right at the factory and put the 1.4 back in!

Adam, please could you expand a bit on that...what made you swap back? Lack of towing/uphill grunt?

I guess I don't have to worry, because I have the T-box from my the Discovery that donated my 200 TDI as well as the Defender's original T-box. It's just I'd like to fit the 'right' one first off.

Sorry bit vague! I changed back for the reasons you described, uphill grunt and towing. I've also uprated the intercooler to help it out as I will often have reasonable loads in the car.

All depends what you want to do with your car. If it's a all rounder, off roading / towing / load carrying / kids to school. Then you can't beat the 1.4. But if it's more for a bit of fun, off roading and motorway then the 1.2 will be better.

I put a 1.2 in my old 110 van running 235s and had no problems. It pulled just as well as it did before but crused much better on the motorway. Only problem I had was having to drill and tap the holes for the external handbrake mechanism being an older 110 and not having the handbrake on the replacement t-box

It's not actually as bad as you might imagine - wheels well chocked (and then chocked some more), props off, tunnel out, undo linkages/handbrake etc, undo the bolts holding TB to gearbox and slide it off. However, a big tip is to get some long rods and weld some bolt-ends onto it, same thread as the bolts you're removing. Take one bolt out and screw the rod in. Work your way round, and that way when finished, you can slide the TB along the rods in a straight line, kinda.

When you're done, slide the new box back in along the rods and you'll save screwing the new oil seal up on the way in. You'll need a pal to help with lowering/raising it, it's not so much that it's heavy but it's very lopsided..

Kinda like this...

dsc00348um.jpg

IIRC those are M10 threads, so you can also just buy some long (160mm ?) M10 bolts, cut the heads off and cut a slot in to ease screwing them into the gearbox.