300Tdi turbo tuning

Troll Hunter

My understanding of the 300 turbo is that the wastegate starts opening at about 10psi boost pressure and is fully open at 15 - 16 psi. Has anybody tried tuning the unit so that the wastegate starts to open at a higher pressure, but is still fully open at 15 - 16 psi? I don't want to raise the maximum boost pressure, but wondered if it is possible to achieve maximum boost at a lower engine speed, ie delay the start of opening the wastegate.

What are your thoughts, please?

Mike

Mine is an Armval, but they dissapeared some years ago. Would be quite easy to make one though, it's only a non return valve with adjustable spring pressure, when the boost reaches the required pressure it lifts a ball bearing off it's seat against the spring and the pressure can reach the actuator, when the boost drops again the ball seats and a tiny bleed hole lets the wastegate return to the fully closed position.

Something you could knock up after tea Barry.

One "cheap trick" I've seen done is to put a T-piece in the pipe from the plenum to the wastegate, then connect the spare leg of this T-piece into some sort of reservoir.

The idea is that when you get lots of boost, initially the pressure fed to the wastegate actuator is lower because some of the pressure-flow is going into the reservoir. When the pressure in the reservoir rises sufficiently, the wastegate opens in the traditional way.

The effect being to allow 'overboost' for a period which is dependent on the size of the reservoir, while at the same time preventing the risk of any engine damage because of *sustained* overboosting.

If you want to reach max boost faster couldn't you adjust the star wheel in the injection pump. I'm not sure if I've got this right.

Sort of.. The star wheel adjusts the tension on the spring that "holds" the diaphram up. If the diaphram is easier to move you get more fuel, making more exhaust gas making the turbo spin up faster.... You'll also (if you go to far) make tons of unwanted smoke and bog the engine down. Your best off with a boost controller/gates valve.

I put one on my 110 and tbh the difference is barely noticable.