Difinitive list of galvable bits?

How about the guards for the brake disks? Or the back plates in the case of drums?

I suspect those biscuit-tin lids would warp, you could try it though!

This is actually quite timely as I've just taken delivery of an uncoated Guardian Tank Guard...my current list (based on my 110 USW project):

• Tank Guard
  • Steering Guard (Secondhand)
  • Winch Bumper (Ditto)
  • Rock Sliders (Not yet fabricated)
  • Tub body mount brackets (already done)
  • Tub caps (ditto)
  • Station wagon rear body cross member (ditto)
  • Gearbox x-member
  • Engine mounts
  • Tub members
  • Bulkhead mounting brackets
  • Bulkhead???

That's as far as I got - honestly you could take it to the enth degree. But I wouldn't bother with overly thin-parts (below 2mm?) because of the risk of warpage.

Yeah, it's the tank guard that's kicked this all into motion for me too.

The tank mount's a good shout, and I think I'll try the disc guards. I'm undecided if I'll fit them anyway, so if they do warp, it just makes my decision for me. Although I see there point, I'd almost rather pay for new pads fairly often than put up with the incessant squealing of a stone stuck behind them.

In reaction to hearing about defenders with obviously galv'd chassis going missing, I've painted mine. And instantly regretted it. The look of a defender with all the steel bits galv'd is lovely, and I wish I hadn't painted anything now, but hey ho, too late, so I'll stick with it and paint everything. Belt, braces, etc. etc. I painted the spring cups at the same time as I did the chassis and axle casing etc. Basically everything from chassis level downwards is present and painted (although I think I've stripped a thread in the seat of the a-frame balljoint, so I'll be needing a new one, which'll need painting), it's the little bits everywhere else I need to do.

I've been talking to a local fab shop who get a lot of stuff galv'd, who said I can sling it all on with one of their loads, which should make it cheaper. The quality of the stuff they get back is great, and the dippers are a lot in Cardiff, who have experience from small parts up to really big lumps, taking in a lot of car parts/whole car shells on the way. Being as they get a truck down every few weeks, it'll save me a long trip too.

In reaction to hearing about defenders with obviously galv'd chassis going missing, I've painted mine. And instantly regretted it. The look of a defender with all the steel bits galv'd is lovely, and I wish I hadn't painted anything now

^ This! Soutie on here did his research and found the correct paint for fresh galv, so it looks good. I used "Hammerite Direct to Galvanised" - which has chipped easily and looks a bit pony. But, the only thing directly visible will ultimately be the rear cross member, so will tidy that up before the body tub goes on.

It went from this (shiny, nice finish):

5768075651_e9b1ca1b2e_q.jpg

Chassis After Galving! by udderlyoffroad, on Flickr

To this (flaky finish):

8656838831_6c71605424_q.jpg

Finally....a rolling chassis by udderlyoffroad, on Flickr

Back on topic:

I've been talking to a local fab shop who get a lot of stuff galv'd, who said I can sling it all on with one of their loads, which should make it cheaper. The quality of the stuff they get back is great, and the dippers are a lot in Cardiff, who have experience from small parts up to really big lumps, taking in a lot of car parts/whole car shells on the way. Being as they get a truck down every few weeks, it'll save me a long trip too.

I too have heard good things about the Cardiff lot. I got my chassis+brackets dipped by the Bristol mob, whilst their staff were good, the gaffer (the guy who wrote the invoice) was a bit of an arsey jobsworth! Finding a local fabshop that uses them is a good shout...

Anyway, I think I've run out of things to get done...unless the collective wisdom can come up with anything else?

• 4 weeks later...

Trawling Ebay means I now have a few pre-galv'd bits extra, including all four spring seats (Yes, I immediately went back on what I said there!) the steering columb mount, the wing-to-bulkhead straps, the 90 fueltank mounting bracket (£35 odd galved from ebay, £45 from sh*tpart! Win) and the bulkhead mounts (NRC7435/6 maybe?) and a set of zinc-passivated bulkhead captive-nuts, just for completeness.

Also, my dad has just remembered that he's got a 300tdi bulkhead proping up one end of a makeshift bench in the garage! So a bit of shotblasting and a few repairs are in order, and I'm a happy bunny!

I'll collate these ideas into one list in a moment, and try to get all the partnumbers right from the manuals.

Already done -

Chassis
Crossmember
Steering guard
Body cappings
Bumper
Gwyn's suspension goodies
90 tank front mount NRC9474
spring seat plates, front NRC9700G and rear NRC4317
wing to bulkhead straps MRC5153
Steering column mounting bracket (Number?)
Bulkhead toe box supports NRC7435 and NRC7436

Still to do -

Bulkhead
Tankguard
Bracket supports NRC4661 and NRC5478
Body mounting brackets NRC7053
Outrigger rear body brackets LR514BM (these last two are from memory, I need to check in the lockup.)
Rocksliders (although they're not yet welded up...)
Tub crossmembers (MUC8949)
body stay centres MRC6019

Plate Bridge NRC7164 and NRC7165

toe box packing pieces NRC7131

engine and gearbox mounts (Numbers?)
Recovery ring NRC5396 and backing plate 562756
JATE rings (Need two more though)
Military rear bumperettes
Seat belt mountings (Number?)
exhaust hangers that are bolted to the chassis (Number?)
Slam panel MUC4806

Maybe/not yet/not sure about -

door frames
Inner wheel arches at the front
Shock Turrets
Sill channels

I'll ammend this again later, my brain's going squiffy looking at all the parts manuals etc!

How about the fuel tank? You can forget about it then.

I had both my axles and associated bits bead blasted and hot zinc sprayed then overpainted with some stuff that goes on oil rig legs. They were 20 years old at the time but I'm hoping for another 20.

Axles I'm treaging as a separate thing for now, as I have bigger plans than just using standard gear, but I'm definitely considering having them dipped when the time comes.

Would dipping a 90 tank be OK? That'd be magic, as it's one of the few things that genuinely let me down due to rust in the past. I'd just be worried about cleaning it out after, and would it be OK with no extra holes do you think? Really good idea if it could be though!

Hmm. I actually managed to get a pre-galvanised tank supplied by the guys who fitted my galvy chassis, they said it was a genuine LR part but from Canada (I think). No idea what it is but it is apparently very thinly galved.
Yea... I've got one of those too. It has MADE IN CANADA stamped into the metal on top, above the big hole for the guage

Diesel and I are not the closest of comrades either, I think the V8 would run a little lumpy on it... :wacko: Does anyone know if petrol would fare any better? I'm going to use the 90 tank so as to be able to fit an LPG doughnut in place of the standard 110 tank. If only LPG tanks came galvanised! I don't think 've ever seen one on the outside of a vehcle that didn't have peeling powdercoat and a bit of rust underneath.

The gearbox and engine mountings are definitely a good idea, and luckily for me most of my suspension gubbins came from a Mr G Lewis, so is already gav'd.

Jockland John or Giles, do either of you remember where you got your tanks? I have a feeling they'll be out of my price rance (and I've already got a 90 tank ready to go) but it's worth checking. I also ought to have a good look at the tank I have, as it's second hand, but is suspiciously shiny, so may well be galv'd or anodised! Which would be nice.

It would be my pleasure Western, I'll try to compile it in a less my-vehicle-specific way, and make sure that I get all the part numbers.

Looking at YRM's site, I've found a few more bits that I could do easily, or as mine's an '84 model, are already done (Smugness radiates from every pore...)

Upper rad mounts NRC4839 & NRC8609

slam panel under braces (terribly worded I know) no number as yet

Underfloor supports ATF710090

A post stud plates MRC5785 *

Mud flap brackets, if you're that way inclined

sill rail to mid crossmember brackets MRC6359 & MRC6360

Seatbelt bulkhead bracket - no number as yet

Seatbelt to chassis bracket nut plate NRC9698 *

Sill rail L/H MWC3337 & ALR5309

Sill rail R/H MWC3336 & ALR5308

Sill rail stud plate MRC5785 *

Sill rail bracket MRC9438 *

Exhaust bracket ESR2945

* Most cost effective to just buy them from YRM or somewhere I think

Heath - the tank I have is for a 110 (rear), not a 90 (side). It was fitted to a 2.5 petrol 110 SW that broke on a French motorway and was sold on by the recovery company for an alarmingly small sum ;)