different wheels for spares?

Basically I'm looking for a couple of spare tyres for my 90, which is sat on 7.50R16 michelin xzl's mounted on wolf rims, I am struggling to find wheels and tyres to match but can get some xzl's on standard rims quite easily. Now I know the offset and the width are different but how much of an issue is that? given that hopefully I will never need to use the spares will a pair of xzl's on standard rims be okay?

thanks, Matt

My 90CSW came from the factory with Land-Rover 'boost' alloys. I quickly found someone who would swap for a set of 5.5-inch steels, which weighed something like 4Kg-per-corner less.

Unsprung weight is bad. Weight-for-weight, alloy wheels are weaker than steel.

I'd suggest you pick up a set of 5.5-inch standard LR steels - should be available for next-to-nothing from the fools who value show over function and 'upgrade' to alloys.

Weight-for-weight, alloy wheels are weaker than steel.

Not true. For a given thickness, steel is stronger, for a given mass, aluminium is stronger. That's why aircraft, space craft and high performance boats are made of aluminium, and why high value cars are now following suit.

Not true. For a given thickness, steel is stronger, for a given mass, aluminium is stronger. That's why aircraft, space craft and high performance boats are made of aluminium, and why high value cars are now following suit.

Not to split hairs, but IIRC steel is more maleable and hence can take a blow by bending, wheareas alu is more brittle and hence more likely to crack from a blow.

It occurred to me after posting that the alloy used for wheels may be a magnesium alloy, rather than aluminium. Anyway, the point also holds - magnesium is used a lot in aircraft structures where weight is critical. Alloy wheels are not inherently weak, they just suffer, as you say,from being more brittle and harder to repair, so where a HD steel rim will buckle and could possibly be beaten roughly back into shape, an alloy is more likely to break beyond local repair. I don't think there is much difference in how much of a pounding each type will take before being damaged. It is something to be considered if you are going in to especially arduous and remote conditions. I have two spares and only plan trips around Europe and Scandinavia, so I'm not that likely to break rims, and having two spares I should easily be able to get replacements before I run out of wheels. In my case, the weight saving to make the spare door, bonnet and unsprung weights less is worthwhile. If I was planning a trip across Africa or Australia, then I'd have six Wolf rims. it all depends on the application.

Anyway, back on topic, I used to have mismatched wheels as spares. As long as the circumference is similar, there shouldn't be much problem. Grossly mismatched treads could cause issues under braking, as could offsets, so if you needed to use the spare, it might be worth moving wheels around to make sure the spare goes on the rear axle where it would create less pull on the steering.

Modulars like that are stronger than standard 90/110 rims, but less than Wolf rims. While you might be able to repair that rim to get you out of trouble, you'd want to replace it asap. An alloy rim would be irreparable after such a strong impact, but since that modular is now scrap anyway, it does rather highlight the point that alloys aren't a problem, and that the important thing on an expedition is to have two spares rather than just one, regardless of wheel type or dimensions.

It is worth remembering that the MoD consider some alloy wheels to be sufficiently tough to use on combat Wolfs like WMIKs, though their weight saving is less of interest than how they affect occupant safety when they contact a mine.

It is worth remembering that the MoD consider some alloy wheels to be sufficiently tough to use on combat Wolfs like WMIKs, though their weight saving is less of interest than how they affect occupant safety when they contact a mine.

those are the Blindo alloys ultra stronger.as in these photo's http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=32706

just make sure your piggybank is stuffed full of dosh & sit down yourself before looking at the price per wheel.