Axel and Oil question?

Ok so it was time to change Diff oil in the 90 300tdi....

Like a good boy i did use EP90 GL4.....when i drained the front diff

The oil was black in colour as i would expect..... when i drained the back

this was a cloudy oil colour almost milky and felt more slimy than oily?

At a guess i would say due to water getting in?...or is this normal

if not what and where do i need to look to resolve this? Plus is

There any way of flushing/cleaning the axel case out with out

stripping it down as when i put my finger in the drain hole i could feel

that the inside of the casing was coated in this milky slime?

Any thoughts/suggestions or even simular experiance welcome

Cheers Mutley

Ok so if i'm going to check hub seals (may as well renew so i know for sure), how hard/easy is the job and how is it done?

Any links to threads on this matter would be a great help.

Cheers Mutley

Mmmm never knew that tacr2man will investigate this line of thought and report back,

and the answer to your question regarding deep water is YES, tend not to make a habit of it but sometimes have no choice,

as the area i shoot over is next to the river Trent and is prone to flooding at times (would say just above wheel arch level).

I know it has breather pipes on so will check them out and if need be renew/extend them to a higher point.

Thanks for the tip

Cheers Mutley

If you're doing deep wading more than infrequently (i.e.. more than just popping through an axle-deep ford now and then) then you need to check your axle oil regularly and probably change it more often than the standard timeframe. You should be able to see through the filler hole with a torch if it's gone milky and emulsified from water contamination.

Remember seals are designed to keep oil/grease in, not water out! A lot of them only seal most effectively in one direction, which is why I tend to use the dual lipped variety. And breathers are important as tacr2man says - mine go to the top of the engine bay at the bulkhead. I figure if I'm that deep the cab and everything else is already full of water so water in the axles is the least of my worries.

Why is it never SIMPLE!?!....

I will take your advice Retroanaconda and check them more frequently when the area is in flood....

And these dual lipped seals you speak of, where can they be obtained?....As this would be more fitting for a supposedly "Go anywhere motor"

Thanks again guys

Cheers Retro....

Just checked and it is saying this part (RTC3511) is for Defenders year '84 to vin number KA.......

As i have a '95 300tdi (vin number MA.....) can this part still be used on my motor or am i out of the sell by date?

The double lipped seal in question was introduced in 1980 for SIIIs with rationalised axles, which share the same bearings as Defenders and Range rovers. The seal is interchangeable with the standard seal used on the coil sprung models, and as James says, is much better at both keeping oil in and water and dirt out.