Anyone have a milling machine?

jad

Hi

I need a spacer made for my project. Unfortunately the person that was going to do it no longer can due to circumstances. i have looked into it with a couple of different companies but so far I have just got ridiculous quotes. The piece is 240x190x83mm at its largest dimensions. I did consider buying a vertical slide for our lathe but the biggest I could find was 150x100mm which is obviously far too small. Does anyone know of a larger vertical slide for a Myford super 7?

This is what I need to make:

post-19190-0-33754900-1371813132_thumb.jpg post-19190-0-79437900-1371813166_thumb.jpg post-19190-0-41363000-1371813131_thumb.jpg

The dimensions I have stated are without the tube protruding. I can use it with or without this there. Although if someone was to do the tube as well it would be easiest if it was made separately and tig welded to it. I have the design in DWG files and can therefore save it in anything autocad will let me..... This would make it easiest and quickest with a CNC mill so it could be loaded in and then out it pops at the other end!

Is there anyone that can help me out without cutting an arm and a leg off?

Thanks

Jad

Are you suuuurrreee you dont have time Si? Pretty Please? Pop it on before you go to bed, flip it over the next day and all done? :) I can reward you with money, beer, women, doritos and anything your heart desires!

Failing that I'll give Marden a call.... Thanks

If anyone knows anywhere closer to Warwickshire that would be great.

Jad

its a spacer to space an lt77 defender bell housing off of an r380 gearbox annnddd HOW MUCH???

A very nice forum member on here did my engine adaptor (1uzfe to diesel r380/lt77) for I think 350. He was going to do this for under a hundred as its smaller and didnt need moving around in the machine etc. I thought the engineering firm that yesterday quoted me 700 on the books and 480 off was having a laugh! The material is about £50 but this guy would have been doing it all by hand rather than CNC..... Might as well buy a mill for that :S

So what did you do to half the price?

Jad

James you could do it on the vertical slide on your myford, drill the holes and drop a slot drill/end mill into the holes to make them round, shift the lot around the slide/table and then clock the holes up to give you your datum again.

Its a shame EJP hasnt got his mill up and running because I'd of done it on there....

What is the material you are wanting it made from? as i have both a 16" Southbend lathe and a Sentinel 58 universal milling machine, both old and slow so ally would be a pain and very likely give a carp finish. Both are imperial machines and the mill has only imperial collets also no DRO's.

I would like it made from aluminium and am not worried about a good finish as long as its the right thickness and the holes are in the correct locations. I was thinking about using a cut up bell housing to make sure I got the holes in the correct location.

VB do you think the vertical slide on the myford is big enough? The largest I can find is 150x100 and the spacer is 240 by 190... Also who is this EJP and what do I have to do to get his mill working?!?!?

Phil you arent far away at all from me so this may be an option if you are willing? I dont think your machines being imperial will be a problem. The main things I need done on the mill are making the material flat the profiling externally and the large recess for the input bearing housing. We have a pillar drill although cheap and Chinese which is capable of doing the mounting holes.

Cheers

Jad

get it laser cut from steel as a series of laminations and glue it together with MIG or TIG

This,

Cnc water or laser cut the profiles and sandwich it all - include two extra holes on opposite sides of the profiles, hand ream them to dead size and make up some dowels to suit, do the tube part on your lathe and get it welded up

As per Lewis's suggestion, I once made a bell housing adaptor for someone by getting two plates laser cut. Then accurately cut tubes to join the holes on each plate. Bolt the bits together then weld flat plates in place to join the tubes and form a ring. Finally weld the ring to the two plates and the result was perfectly square and true. It was also lighter than the same component milled out of Aluminium. Total cost was about £100 and it was fairly big. It also incorporated the mounting for the starter motor.

I'd be inclined to go for something like that - personally.

What's the purpose of the tube sticking out? Just for extra support for the gearbox input shaft? If so, I'm not convinced its necessary.

Si

Its a possible idea but I would prefer to make it out of one piece if possible and out of ali which we cant weld.

The purpose of the tube is the clutch release bearing guide! I can either have this here or bolt on an input shaft bearing housing which I have from a dead LT77. I would prefer if possible to keep the gearbox together so it can be refurbished if needs be. I have turned a spigot bush up which will obviously support the input shaft.

Cheers

Jad

I would like it made from aluminium and am not worried about a good finish as long as its the right thickness and the holes are in the correct locations. I was thinking about using a cut up bell housing to make sure I got the holes in the correct location.

VB do you think the vertical slide on the myford is big enough? The largest I can find is 150x100 and the spacer is 240 by 190... Also who is this EJP and what do I have to do to get his mill working?!?!?

Phil you arent far away at all from me so this may be an option if you are willing? I dont think your machines being imperial will be a problem. The main things I need done on the mill are making the material flat the profiling externally and the large recess for the input bearing housing. We have a pillar drill although cheap and Chinese which is capable of doing the mounting holes.

Cheers

Jad

James, anything is possible. The adaptor plate I did last year for you was done on a machine with only 350mm Movement on its Y axis.

And yes, EJP is EJParrott on here, he has a nice Bridgeport copy in his Workshop we are slowly getting up and running. Hopefully it'll be done soon.

But how do you go about clamping something that is 240x190 to something that is 150x100? Thats the bit I dont quite get.... Anything I can do to help with getting his workshop up and running? The adaptor you made me before was so pretty :wub:

Jad

But how do you go about clamping something that is 240x190 to something that is 150x100? Thats the bit I dont quite get.... Anything I can do to help with getting his workshop up and running? The adaptor you made me before was so pretty :wub:

Jad

A 6mm bolt through the hole for the input shaft would be my starting point.....

To help Ed get his mill up and running is easy, just invent a 40hr day!!!

A 6mm bolt through the hole for the input shaft would be my starting point.....

To help Ed get his mill up and running is easy, just invent a 40hr day!!!

Not sure about the 40 hour day.... but I might be able to lend a hand at weekends?

• 2 weeks later...