G90 tyre replacements

I really liked Cooper Discoverer AT or STT, Kumho KL71 - these have a very wide shoulder compared to others, only downside is they are directional.

Hi Eightpot, enlighten me, what does 'directional' mean. I assume they should be fitted rolling only one way. How would I know if they were fitted 'back to front' and why is it a 'down side' with them? Only curious as I'm not running those particular tyres.

directional tyres are marked on the sidewall normally with a moulded arrow showing the correct direction of rotation, the tyres are designed to work/grip better in the nominated direction,

G90's aren't very good on wet tarmac IIRC the XD/Wolf fleet was fitted with Michelin ZXL tyres instead.

I run a set of KL71s on my Jimny - rate them highly on and off road. Not too cheap in Land Rover sozes or they have been my next choice.

I just got a set of Event ATs for the landy. For a budget tyre they are really quite good. Not aggressive at all, but nice and quiet and give good feedback. Far better then the frankly leathal Michelins that came on the landy when I bought it! Dont look as good, but then they were £160 for 4 brand new ones on rims form ebay rather than £145 each for the Michelins.

Hi James those 2 pictures in your album show tubeless wolf rims which are 6.5 inch wide, so you can fit 235/85 x 16 tyres on those without issue.

Incidently the tyres shown on those rims are not Goodyear G90, but are Michelin XZL.

Regards, Diff.

Got Goodyear Wrangler MTR 33 12.50 15s on mine. They are a bit noisy, but not too bad in the wet, but you should always drive a bit more sensibly when its wet on a mud tyre in any case. Also, it always amuses me when people claim to get high milages out of them. I seldom go off road anyway, but I cant see me getting any more than 20 to 25k miles out of them, and that makes them VERY expensive.

Yes, 255/85 x 16 will fit too, though sadly there are only a couple of manufacturers of tyres in this size I believe. The most popular is BF Goodrich.

Regards, Diff.

sorry but i'm getting really confused now......I have G90 which are 7.50/16 but what does the 7.50 mean? and why does the tyres I am looking at have 3 numbers quoted i.e. 255/85 x 16?

how wide at the G90?

I want something which is wider but not twice as wide and not much taller.

hope that makes sense and you can help

thanks

Ones an imperial measure and the other a metric(ish) one.

16 in both cases is the wheel size in inches.

7.50 means the tread is 7.5" wide and sidewall is 7.5" tall, ie a 100% aspect ratio

modern tyres are labelled with two numbers, the first "255" is the tread width in mm and the second number is the aspect ratio as a percentage.

So a 255/85R16 is 255mm wide, (255*0.85) tall and fits a 16" rim.

235/85R16 is about the closest you'll get to a 7.50 in modern tyre sizes. Its a bit wider, but pretty much the same overall height.

Ones an imperial measure and the other a metric(ish) one.

16 in both cases is the wheel size in inches.

7.50 means the tread is 7.5" wide and sidewall is 7.5" tall, ie a 100% aspect ratio

modern tyres are labelled with two numbers, the first "255" is the tread width in mm and the second number is the aspect ratio as a percentage.

So a 255/85R16 is 255mm wide, (255*0.85) tall and fits a 16" rim.

235/85R16 is about the closest you'll get to a 7.50 in modern tyre sizes. Its a bit wider, but pretty much the same overall height.

when you say 'Tall' where is this measured from?

Its the height of the sidewall.

hence a 235/85 has a sidewall of approx 200mm, and your 7.50 has a sidewall of approx 7.5" or 190mm

Perfect, just the info I needed

So i'm looking for something a bit wider and either the same height or close, so I think i'm going to go for the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 235/85R16

Looks like a good tyre on and off road

The ST Maxx's look great. I was thinking about a set of them myself!

indeed, however having just ordered them, I've just received an email saying they are only available as an import from USA......so that's a no then!

I particularly liked them as they are studable which would be useful in Norway when I eventually get there

Hmm weird. Did they say if it was just a supply issue, or if they're not approved for sale in the EU?

they didn't say but i'm trying a few other places to see what they have to say.............just my luck, spend a while finding the one I want, then you can't get it!

Each tyre is 45mm wider yes, so 22.5mm more sticky-out measured from the edge of the rim :)

Gotcha.....unfortunately the tyres I wanted are a USA import and no-one has them, which are the S/T Maxx, so I think i'm going to go for the STT, which seems like a good tyre