G90 tyre replacements

thanks.....don't even know the size of my G90's as i'm away from the vehicle at the moment

G90s are likely to be 7/50-16.

I had a set on the front of my D90 (they were cheap). Wore them out in about 25,000 miles. Replaced with a set of 7/50-16 SAGs (again cheap!) which look like they'll have about the same life. The Avon Rangemasters on the rear end seem good for around 35,000 miles.

anything will be good after the howl of G90's! if you've still got the n/a engine, maybe best not to go any taller as you'll affect gearing. 235/85 are a good swap, same height and a bit wider. Common size so easy to come by as well.

I really liked Cooper Discoverer AT or STT, Kumho KL71 - these have a very wide shoulder compared to others, only downside is they are directional. Goodyear Wrangler and BF Goodrich are great as well, loads of choice. Only thing I would personally avoid is the cheap mega knobbly Amazons, Grizzly claws etc, but if your weekends are spent in quarries then probably a good option.

anything will be good after the howl of G90's! if you've still got the n/a engine, maybe best not to go any taller as you'll affect gearing. 235/85 are a good swap, same height and a bit wider. Common size so easy to come by as well.

I really liked Cooper Discoverer AT or STT, Kumho KL71 - these have a very wide shoulder compared to others, only downside is they are directional. Goodyear Wrangler and BF Goodrich are great as well, loads of choice. Only thing I would personally avoid is the cheap mega knobbly Amazons, Grizzly claws etc, but if your weekends are spent in quarries then probably a good option.

I'm just looking for slightly wider tyres as the G90's look a bit thin....no worried about going higher as my other half can hardly climb in it as it is (which might not be a bad thing)

I'm just looking for slightly wider tyres as the G90's look a bit thin....no worried about going higher as my other half can hardly climb in it as it is (which might not be a bad thing)

The Cooper Discoverer STT looks visually like an awesome tyre, which is the look I am after, but what are they like on tarmac?

Being a Mud type tyre they'll be poorer than an AT on the road, however compared to the G90's which are positively ancient (in terms of design/tyre technology) i'd imagine they'll be many times better.

The ST Maxx might be a better choice for tarmac though?

Being a Mud type tyre they'll be poorer than an AT on the road, however compared to the G90's which are positively ancient (in terms of design/tyre technology) i'd imagine they'll be many times better.

The ST Maxx might be a better choice for tarmac though?

yep the G90's are really poor, especially on tarmac in the wet......(fun round a roundabout in the wet though!)

I like the look of the ST Maxx

Cheers

The Cooper Discoverer STT looks visually like an awesome tyre, which is the look I am after, but what are they like on tarmac?

I've got STTs on the 90 and am really chuffed with them, they perform well on wet tarmac too.

Unless you are spending a lot of time in mud, the ST Maxx might be a better bet however.

No point getting anything other than decent kit for that....

I have found these excellent, though you can get very similar elsewhere:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_898885_langId_-1_categoryId_255207

Ignore all the folding and tin-sheet made ones, they are rubbish frankly, the above have a good cup on them, but still only need to jack the vehicle up very slightly to release the ratchet and remove.

No point getting anything other than decent kit for that....

I have found these excellent, though you can get very similar elsewhere:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_898885_langId_-1_categoryId_255207

Ignore all the folding and tin-sheet made ones, they are rubbish frankly, the above have a good cup on them, but still only need to jack the vehicle up very slightly to release the ratchet and remove.

these are perfect, thanks

The cooper stt are really good on tarmac, no problems at all, not noisy either.

I'm on my second set of coopers in 100k. Im really impressed with them. They perform well on and off road and the wear rate is excellent. My first set were st's. They were replaced after 65k (still with good tread) with STT's on a bigger size. I should get 70k out of the new ones I hope

James,

A point to note - Do you know what wheels your ex mod land rover is fitted with?

If fitted with G90 tyres (7.50 x 16) and the land rover is fitted with the wheels it left the MOD with, you are likely to have either 5.5 inch wide standard tube type steel wheels or 6.5 inch wide wolf tube type wheels, or as an outside possibility the standard looking 6.5 inch wide tube type steels as normally fitted to 127 and 130 mod ambulances and similar.

My point in asking is that if looking for something wider than a 7.50 x 16 - eg 235/85 x 16 or 265/75 x 16 (all roughly the same height), they shouldn't be fitted to 5.5 inch rims. Tyre manufacturers recommend a minimum of 6 inch wide rim for 235/85 x 16.

Plenty of suppliers will sell you a wheel and tyre package which will include suitable width replacement wheels which will also be tubeless and will save you from having to fit tubes too.

If you aren't sure what wheels you have, post a pic and the forum will help you identify them.

Regards,

Diff.

i have the Goodyear Wrangler MTR tyres on mine, and performance wise ill give them 10/10 on road and off,

i will happily and confidently follow trucks deep into the bowels of a pay and play site when they have much knobblier tyres, theyre surprisingly grippy on road, even in the wet they are good for a mud terrain.

However, purely on tread depth from new, (a lot more tread) which on road makes no difference as both are meant to last the same mileage give or take,
but off road sub 3mm tread can be pretty useless so the extra tread in theorey would give more grip for longer.

p.s. you can still see the moulding marks on the contact face of he tread block after 10,000 miles on my wranglers so that suggests they havent worn at all yet

• 3 months later...

James,

A point to note - Do you know what wheels your ex mod land rover is fitted with?

If fitted with G90 tyres (7.50 x 16) and the land rover is fitted with the wheels it left the MOD with, you are likely to have either 5.5 inch wide standard tube type steel wheels or 6.5 inch wide wolf tube type wheels, or as an outside possibility the standard looking 6.5 inch wide tube type steels as normally fitted to 127 and 130 mod ambulances and similar.

My point in asking is that if looking for something wider than a 7.50 x 16 - eg 235/85 x 16 or 265/75 x 16 (all roughly the same height), they shouldn't be fitted to 5.5 inch rims. Tyre manufacturers recommend a minimum of 6 inch wide rim for 235/85 x 16.

Plenty of suppliers will sell you a wheel and tyre package which will include suitable width replacement wheels which will also be tubeless and will save you from having to fit tubes too.

If you aren't sure what wheels you have, post a pic and the forum will help you identify them.

Regards,

Diff.