Wheel Bearing Life/Re-Torque Interval

How often do most of you re-torque your wheel bearings? Is it odd that I've had to do it every 20,000km or so? These are the TDI style with the lock washer/double nut arrangement.

I do my wheel bearings every 6,000 miles or six months which ever comes soonest. If I've been in deep water I strip the hubs at the soonest opportunity.

I remove the hub. Re-pack with grease where possible and re-fit...

When I fit a new bearing. I pack the bearing with grease, I force the grease into the rollers from one end of the rollers to the other. I do not put grease anywhere else. I always use a new lock washer as the old hammered flat one is never flat and can allow the nut to settle into the old setting.

I don't use a specific make of grease, as long as it lithum {SP} but I do add Wynnes Charge to my bearing grease. About a desert spoon full to a tin.

I've yet to have to change a bearing on my Defender in the 106,000 miles I've done in it.

My 110 is 28 years old now, My hubs are lubricated by oil (but the wheel bearings should still be packed with grease on assembly). I have had to change a couple of hub seals on one hub over the past 12 years and I have only changed 1 wheel bearing set in the last 70,000 miles (due to water ingress).

I have not had to adjust the other wheel bearings in 70,000 miles, and they are the ones that were fitted when I bought the Land Rover, so could have done many more miles before that. Previous Land Rovers I have owned have lasted similarly well.

I never strip and clean the wheel bearings unless I need to remove the hubs for another reason. I always check for play when servicing by rocking the wheel and spinning to check for play, roughness when rotating and noise.

I set wheel bearings for pre TD5 models with Zero endfloat/play. With the wheel fitted and the axle on an axle stand, tighten the inner locknut only enough to ensure there is no play when you try to push and pull the tyre at the tread. Spin the tyre a few times and re check (Wheel/tyre should spin easily and not drag). Fit the lock washer and tighten the outer nut securely, making sure the inner nut doesn't get tightened a bit too, then knock the tab washer over both the inner and the outer locknuts.

Your bearings may need re adjusting regularly because either :

1. The bearings are poor quality,

2. You are tightening the locknuts too tight causing excess pre load and accelerated wear.

3. The outer bearing races were not properly seated when installed, or

4. The bearings are not being lubricated properly.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff.

My 110CSW still has the original wheel bearings , over 200,000 miles, oil lubed , and thats a big part of the reason . Been Redline synthetic last 20yrs or so. Been adjusted only when doing other things. Same setting method as Diff mentions above .