GKN Overdrive jumps in and out of gear when disengaged

Nearer 400miles today rather than the 300 I thought, and no problems at all with the OD. So, it looks like the oil change has worked for now. I'll do another one soon to flush more of the remaining oil out and order an HP filter to put in at the same time.

This site shows you how to dismantle and rebuild the older J type, the GKN Defender one is basically the same apart from the output. Found it useful in trying to fix mine before I gave up on it and threw it in a corner of the shed.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD1/JOD1.htm

Ooops, just realised the link had already been posted! :blush:

• 5 weeks later...

Tanuki,

A question if I may ?

If the overdrive has a direct drive mechanism to transmit torque when the O/D is not engaged, does this mean that the cone clutch is only used when the O/D is engaged ?

The reason I ask is that mine slips when cold and not engaged. Could this point to direct drive mechanism damage rather than cone clutch facing ?

TIA

Mo

Ok Rich, who sells the gasket sets ? Devon ?

Devons where I got a full set from last time. They don't advertise them on their site, but they had the whole kit when I rang them.

However, looking at the price difference for some of the bits between d44 and the company in Tanukis post, it might be worth ringing them to see if they can supply them for the defender variant.

We could probably take it apart and then order the parts if we can figure out what's wrong!

Good idea Rich, would be nice to get it done for the Alps trip next month. I'll ring Devon on Monday.

I'd still like to know for certain if drive passes through the cone clutch when the overdrive is NOT engaged. That really would help with diagnosis.

MOG, we have different problems, however I'll post what I do discover if it'll be of some help.

Mo

• 3 weeks later...

We will do hopefully in a few weeks after Mo and Neil return from their travels..

test

Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing mainly the input and output components. I'm hoping that as with the last 2 crawler boxes I built from Series and LT95 Fairey OD's, I can adapt the GKN components to a planetary reduction unit.

Bill.

test

Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing mainly the input and output components. I'm hoping that as with the last 2 crawler boxes I built from Series and LT95 Fairey OD's, I can adapt the GKN components to a planetary reduction unit.

Bill.

A stroke of luck! I have just had two GKN OD warranty returns dropped in my lap, and I can begin wracking my brain on designing the crawler box conversion.

Bill.

I have 2 GKNs as paperweights in the garage.

From reading this they can last if the oil is changed more often. My last one only managed 12k from new and lost all drive. I will contact the company in the link and see if they can do a rebuild kit.

If you do unfortunately discover that they are unrepairable, would you consider selling them or one to me?

I will be returning the two I got, back to the chap that donated them, because I dismantled both and cannot find anything mechanically amiss with them. The only bits I want are forward of and attached to the steel adaptor plate, so it would be a shame to break up two perfectly usable overdrives just for those pieces.

Bill.

If you do unfortunately discover that they are unrepairable, would you consider selling them or one to me?

I will be returning the two I got, back to the chap that donated them, because I dismantled both and cannot find anything mechanically amiss with them. The only bits I want are forward of and attached to the steel adaptor plate, so it would be a shame to break up two perfectly usable overdrives just for those pieces.

Bill.

Hi Bill

My plan was to use one as spare parts to end up with one good one if things work out that way. After reading about all the parts that go wrong with them, I would rather keep all the other parts .

Matt

Hi Bill

My plan was to use one as spare parts to end up with one good one if things work out that way. After reading about all the parts that go wrong with them, I would rather keep all the other parts .

Matt

Thanks Matt, that's fine. But in case anyone else reading this thread has a dead one, The components I need are the only components of a GKN that never wears out, breaks or melts. These components, without drastic modification are no good for and won't fit anything else, so if you have a dead one gathering dust in the shed, that you are never going to rebuild, then I will like to swap an appropriate quantity of beer tokens for it.

Bill.

• 9 years later...

Hi all I have been following a few different threads on this site and maybe someone can help me out .

I have a BRAND NEW GKN still in the box in my shop waiting to install into my RRC when I fully restore it.

in one of the other threads I have been watching they mentioned a gear venders over drive and a Maximum over drive version are they the same ? 

they sell a deeper sump that brings the level of fluid up to almost double and it has cooling fins on the bottom of the sump.

they also allow for a drain and a temp gauge . I was told this would not fit the rover GKN because it interfered with the extra large t-case Sump with the fins that you can buy for the rover T-case . It’s either you run the over drive with the deeper sump  and the bigger sump for the T-case not both . 

I have looked at the Maximum  over drive deep sump and I think I can make it work with a milling machine and a block of billet.

I have a cpl of questions .

1. can having a bigger sump and more oil capacity and a way of cooling the oil help or just change the oil when you change your engine oil.

2. can some on tell me where I can find and buy a deeper sump or have a used one I could buy to try and make fit the rover GKN.

I was told the design was the same as a De Normanville is this true ? 
I don’t want to install something I’m going to hate or regret later on once my truck in on the road again.

I also won’t be putting the miles on that you guys do. My wife and I’ll be travelling and t owning the RRC on a trailer behind our truck with a camper on it . 
I love all comments 

thanks 

Tony