Mondeo Fans

Ivan

OK got a pair of fans of a Mondeo to fit into the 90. Got my XEng fan controler. Need to know what size the cable should be (i.e. current rating). The existing wiring looks huge! Any one know what current these fans draw ? Plan is to use the XEng kit to switch the earth wire.

Cheers

Ivan

send a PM to Si at X-Eng...

one way to find out is to look at what fuse is used in the mondeo's fan circuit, that will give you an idea of the current draw... if in doubt use a larger wire.

are you sure you should switch the earth wire??????

I wired mine up with 27Amp cable, 30Amp relays and 20Amp fuses, however..

I blew a couple of fuses the other w/e after dunking the fans in the water, but only one of them blew the fuses. Then after they had dried out and been treated to some WD40 the other one blew a fuse. Swapped for a 25Amp fuse and that seemed ok. Checking the one that was still running on the 20A fuse I found that the fuse was rather hot after running for a while, as where the relays. So I think my wiring is marginal for the fans, and maybe the water had nothing to do with it. I will have to stick a ammeter in line with them running and see how much current they are drawing. Maybe I should have done that before fitting but thought allowing 20Amps for them would be enough.

Fans take a huge startup kick, as you seem to be discovering they will run at about 60% of the current needed to start them. if the original wiring is fat, get some the same - Ford wouldn't spend money on thick wire if they didn't have to.

Thinwall Cable sizes from VWP:

0.5mm2, 11amps

1mm2, 16.5amps

2mm2, 25amps

3mm2, 33amps

4mm2, 39amps

have you got a multimeter that will measure >10A? wish i had.

My el cheapo one that lives in the tool box won't but I have a blingy expensive one that only comes out on special occasions and IIRC that has a decent current measuring capacity.

Blimey that was quick! Thanks very much for the replies. Will get onto VWP and order some 33A cable and a couple of 30A relays. Plan is to wire each fan separately and use the VWP kit to bring the second fan on if it gets too hot.

Cheers

Ivan

Single Mondeo fans draw 30 amps 'ish on start and run at 17amps so the X-eng switch should be fine.

If you're going to use the 2 stage system the main feed to the switch will need to be LARGE and use something like a 35A fuse.

A good source of Jumbo fuse box's are Mk 3 Astra's and later Metro's. Can be found in the engine bay of both and if removed with care, you get about 1 m of primary supply cable already fitted.

the Output modules are "modular" and can be swapped for what you require.

These are the only fuseboxes that I not managed to melt!

bob

I thought the X-eng switch was rated to 17A, so basically you're running it at it's limit :huh: and nearly double that for startup kick.

Is it 17A per contact or 17A total?

Are a couple of 40A relays really such an extravagance? Probably set you back all of a pound from the scrapyard...