Series Fenders

tuko

After each event with the hybrid I'm usually in the garage banging out new dents in the front fenders. The last event a few weeks ago one of my fenders looked like this:

post-194-0-08858400-1377297810_thumb.jpg

Winching through a mud hole, the fender finally gave in to the pressure and buckled in. :( To be honest I'm getting tired of all the hammering as the fenders don't look their best anymore.

So I'm now wondering how can I strengthen the front fenders without adding too much weight?

I'm thinking of a homemade mild version of extreme wings. What's running around in my head is one pipe that has a 90 degree that follows the fender lines which would be some how bolted/welded at the roll cage and at the front a tab welded to the front fender where this pipe would also be welded to. Several tabs along the pipe to allow me to rivet the fender top/front to. The side panel just a flat piece of Alu cut to shape for the fender flares.

I'm looking for suggestions and possibly pictures of others homemade wings on series vehicles or those that are on Defenders that can be patterned to fit a series.

Todd.

your landrover looks cool because of the dents; or so do my colleges at work tell me! i used fit new wings once a year, but now i am not doing much offroading, and i just leave it. I am not keen on challenge wings, and have thought along similar ways to yourself. it just never quite happened. looking forward to see your solution.

daan

I run scaffold tube up the inside of the wing with the internal bolted edge flattened out, so the tube fits the curved outer panel. Last mod was to seam weld the front panel to the outer on the left hand side. Right hand wing is due next. They are the original build wings from 1993.

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/teamidris/media/Beastfront30thJuly20007.jpg.html'>Beastfront30thJuly20007.jpg

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/teamidris/media/Aug2007Wilbar.jpg.html'>Aug2007Wilbar.jpg

I like the above picture with the 90 degree bend towards the bottom of the pipe which is welded at the frame. A person could in this case bolt it to the inner fender. Also another pipe along the seam for the front panel. Hmmmm...... As long as a person can keep the weight reasonably down.

"Also another pipe along the seam for the front panel"

It's never wanted for that horizontal part even though the right wing has a rope pocket in it, so the front panel is really badly supported as it stands. (assuming I follow your thinking). The load is normally on the bottom edge and corner.

The bracing to the bull bar is new (relatively) since the winch went in. (2006)

The original idea was that you could tear the wing off without affecting the bar by mechanical connection. And that the bar could be bent all shapes but not affect the front hoop, as it fastens to the outriggers. But it is real early when compared to challenge wings. These bars went on in the late 1990's. Nearly a trend setter :)

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I brought up this topic, I've made a set of homemade challenge wings that fit perfectly for my needs and vehicle. Pictures on the internet are not easy to come by but one forum member's pictures were the inspiration for my project, thanks to Dave W.

post-194-0-07573000-1409827962_thumb.jpg

The wing pipe was cut and trimmed to fit the already trimmed wing top and front. The plan with the pipe is to weld the front to a tab on the back of the front winch bumper and the rear has a plate that is sandwiched in the roll cage bolts mount. Plenty of tabs were then welded to the pipe for mounting the wing pieces together.

post-194-0-58436400-1409828240_thumb.jpg

The outer skin for the wing is 2mm alu plate. If I left it as a straight sheet of alu, it would have been to soft and would be damaged rather quickly on the trails, so I created a lip around the flare cutout for two purposes, strength and a place for fixing the flares to.

post-194-0-68315300-1409828491_thumb.jpg

All together decided that it was time for a slight color change and painted the Hybrid. Several fresh coats of etch primer and then Termadur 50 was a nice touch to the new challenge wings.

post-194-0-47807800-1409829092_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-93938500-1409829118_thumb.jpg

Since making these challenge wings I've tested them with vein on the trails and they held up very well! I'm happy with the result plus I like the design where it does not deter from the original lines of the Series wings.

Todd.

Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments.

They were not easy to make. I allowed myself a week per side, which I used every minute of to get them just right.

With the botched job of the original front wings ----->

post-194-0-45783300-1409874085_thumb.jpg

I was forced to abandon any attempts of making a pattern form the original wings. Now they are straight, equally spaced front to rear and the wheel openings are the same width.

Todd.

The lip is approx 20mm wide, I used flat nose pliers gently bending about 10 degrees the full length, then again and again till I had the lip formed. I think it took 7~8 times of bending till it was formed. The trick is to bend a little each time so that metal doesn't deform and become wavy.

Todd.

neat job on the wings. Is there any connection to the grille panel, or are they 'free standing'?

Daan

we can say that they are free standing but they are welded solid to the front bumper. I don't see the need to lock them together as I dont comp the vehicle.

Todd.