Best after market alarm for a 90?

Hi All,

Simple question really, what is the consensus on a decent alarm to add to a 90 that already has a few more visible deterrents (clutch claw, steering bar etc.) and other bits and bobs?

I am not really looking at more then the £300 mark tops and would rather have something that counts towards the insurance, so Thatcham class 1 I guess?

A few people have suggested Toad (and the ai606 especially) with the optional tilt sensor but not a lot else. Does that seem like a good starting point or should I be looking elsewhere? Also heard that the Clifford ones do not suit our trucks all that well.

As my truck was quite messed up after a recent attempt to steal it I am inclined to add anything extra that just makes stealing it more awkward (knowing that if they want it they will take it).

How handy are you electrically?

For it to be thatcham certified and to count towards the insurance, it has to be fitted by an approved installer, and immobilise in two points (usually starter solenoid and the fuel pump). From what I understand, there's a big database of instructions on the wiring points and unit mounting points for each car to make life easy for the installers. The trouble is a lot of the scrotes have learnt where these common locations are, so therefore know how to bypass them - this is probably a bigger problem than for most cars as on a defender the wiring is pretty simple and things are easy to get to...

If you install it yourself, you can put the control unit in a really obscure location, pick up the wiring in harder to get places etc and make it more difficult. You can also add extras like a two stage shock sensor (so it'll chirp if someone gives the car a thump to test if it's got an alarm or not), add an extra siren inside the cabin (makes life very unpleasant). Of course it won't be certified, but you will save yourself some money on the fitting - probably more than the insurance discount over a few years...

If you have £300 the best thing you can buy is a Tracker (assuming the car means something to you and you want to get the car back, regardless of what damage they might do)

Then just get a simple £100 clifford or similar and DIY install it as a deterrent

Thanks guys,

It has a home made tracker and I think upgrading that is on the agenda. I think your right, keep it visible (not that it stopped them trashing my truck) and have the other things as a backup/slowdown.

I had not really considered the 'template' install problems for alarms. Most of the stuff like that I would wire myself would be somewhat unconventional as you might imagine but it is no use it every installer just puts it on 'X' wire in 'Y' place just to get the bit of paper to keep the insurance quiet :(.

So in no specific order it is a deterrent alarm self installed, more visible stuff and a early Christmas trip to X-Eng's site again. That's some things to work on once the garage have had a chance to sort out the trashed steering column.

Can I also ask for more info on removable steering wheels (I guess that plus parking at lock would make things a pain at least)?

verything I have seen in the past is a boss on top of another boss and being 6.3" this would mean driving the truck from the bench seats in the back :o.

IMHO

You wnat 2 x (at least) systems

1. For the "Opportuniist" thief - fit an X_Pedal and use it, will be a Giant PITFA for most to keep going once seen...

2. For the Pros who wnat it and sod whatever you have as NO 1 ie "Crane lifted" or similar pro type stolen

tracker is pretty much the best yiou can get as jamming it is pretty tricky, its smart, and has a benifit of being what police have

in the pursuit cars so they like tracking them as its a clear up on crime ststs pretty much guaranteed

http://www.tracker.co.uk/

Mate had it on his Quad on a farm which got lifted on CCTC into back of a pikey transit, policed alerted and it was recovered - along with a

selection of other property which had been niked elsewhere, tracker was responsible for recovery of multiple thefts !

3. something else - more the better

Nige

IMHO, the best alarm is no alarm! Who pays any attention to them? Last week there was an alarm going off on a car in our street all night. I was more tempted to go and set fire to it than call the Police!

Get a tracker! If you join LandyWatch, you can get a discount code to order a SkyTag tracker at close to half price. I fitted one last year and unlike the Chinese / eBay one that preceded it, it has kept working!

As other people have said, a layered approach is best. Some physical security to make yours look the least-best option to steal plus a tracker so if all else fails, you still have a chance of getting it back!

Si

IMHO, the best alarm is no alarm! Who pays any attention to them? Last week there was an alarm going off on a car in our street all night. I was more tempted to go and set fire to it than call the Police!

Get a tracker! If you join LandyWatch, you can get a discount code to order a SkyTag tracker at close to half price. I fitted one last year and unlike the Chinese / eBay one that preceded it, it has kept working!

As other people have said, a layered approach is best. Some physical security to make yours look the least-best option to steal plus a tracker so if all else fails, you still have a chance of getting it back!

Si

Skytag use GSM/GPS which can be blocked using basic equipment. VHF Trackers like the one Nige mentions are far better, albeit more expensive, although there's no reason you can't have both!

Skytag use GSM/GPS which can be blocked using basic equipment. VHF Trackers like the one Nige mentions are far better, albeit more expensive, although there's no reason you can't have both!

I agree - but on the whole, they don't bother tracing or jamming, they just park it in a car park for 24 hours. If it vanishes, it had a tracker - if not, it turns into spares. VHF trackers are just as easy to jam however.

I know of two vehicles locally which have been recovered thanks to GPS trackers and one of them twice! Good enough for me!

Si