Can I put 2 new AT's on the front & keep the MT's on the b

Madcowz

I've owned a Kia Sorento with a Automatic 4x4 system. With difference in tyre size (even same brand, same size but more worn) the car whould damage the gearbox.

Would it matter if you drove the defender 4x4 box on paved road with some tyredifference?

To be honest, I really don't know if running different sized tyres front and rear long term would cause a failure, but I can't imagine the centre diff would not wear a little faster and if the size difference was big, then I suspect damage could occur after a while - the system is designed to have matched tyres with the diffs operating just when cornering, and the rate of differential operation under normal conditions would be low. Even on very tight turns, the forces would be minimal because the speed is low, though the difference in front and rear wheel revolutions will be at its peak. So, though I don't see a problem using mildly mismatched spare or front/rear tyres for a short time at lowered speeds, it's not something I'd recommend long term.

John, you can't say all remoulds are rubbish on the basis of one set - there are many different brands, compounds and treads. It's like saying all cars are rubbish because you tried a Micra...

Nick,

I made the post/comment due to the two types of remoulds I have had on my 90-Mud pluggas made by olympic and the greenway macho(not amazon as I said before) remoulds both were of a poor construction and on the machos(12 months old) the side wall fell apart, the mud pluggas (2 years old) as I said the side walls had perished to the point of you being able to see the original carcass underneath, the daft part about the situation with the tyres were the fact that I'd done less than 6000 miles in any-one year as i was working In Iraq at the time and spent 3 months away and 1 month home, I appreciate my comment may have been a little rash as I know time and technology has moved on since I last had a set of remoulds on my 90(about 6 years ago) and the construction of remoulds may have gotten better too but In the interest of my own well being and my sometimes passengers I've now gone down the route of using original tyres-i.e:, not remoulds, and have been much happier ever since, I currently run goodyear Wrangler MTR's on it at the mo and find them to do what I want-In the mud and also on the road too, I also appreciate that some of us are on limited budgets-including me at times but I was lucky and got them at cost through a friend who runs his own tyre and exhaust business

John

Not surprising that you have concerns with that experience John, but a lot of people seem happy with their Insas and Colway had a good reputation (I think they're gone now, though). I haven't used remoulds on my LRs, though the Chavalier I bought to use while I rebuilt the 109 may have had some - whatever it had, they were cheap Ploppy Plop Plops (Road Champ, I think); they were as slippery as hell. That said, some of the new premium brand tyres I have used have been poor too, and I have only been satisfied by the BFGs so far. There are a lot of variables in tyres, more than just the question of new vs remould. Fr what it's worth, most aircraft tyres are remoulds, and given the forces they're subjected to (inflated to 220psi, spinning up to 170mph on touch-down with a typical weight of 15 tones per tyre), they rarely let go without severe provocation.

I would be concerned about using same size tyres from a different manufacturer. They seem to have different ideas on sizing.

i was looking for a paticular size of tyres for my car, and found a fair bit of discrepancy both in tread and section width, and also diameter.

I have here some Avon rangemaster 750/16, and also a BFG 750/16 trac edge, and the Avon is two inches taller..............

Or an inch in radius (hub centre to floor) with the vehicle weight on them

Would surely do your centre diff no good at all................and WHAT will happen if you need the diff lock ?

I would be concerned about using same size tyres from a different manufacturer. They seem to have different ideas on sizing.

i was looking for a paticular size of tyres for my car, and found a fair bit of discrepancy both in tread and section width, and also diameter.

I have here some Avon rangemaster 750/16, and also a BFG 750/16 trac edge, and the Avon is two inches taller..............

Or an inch in radius (hub centre to floor) with the vehicle weight on them

Would surely do your centre diff no good at all................and WHAT will happen if you need the diff lock ?

You'll likely only need that on very soft surface where (most) wheels spin free. In that case it shouldn't matter.

However on paved roads the vehicle would try and pull itself apart if the bigger wheels are on front, or make itself a shorter wheelbase if bigger wheels are on the rear. (however I doubt this should be used as a technique to transform a 110 to a 130 or 90 :) )

If you need diff-lock (or engage 4wd in a Series), then the surface is probably slippery or loose enough that it will allow some slippage to prevent transmission damage.

My concern is that looking at how the diff gears are so rough, I think they'd generate a lot of heat if they were working continuously and could soon start wearing their teeth or the cross-shaft they sit on. I doubt it's be an issue in a short term condition, allowing you to use a mismatched tyre for a spare, and I think you'd have much greater issues under that scenario from uneven braking and pulling if it was on the front.

A interesting fact about the LT230 from Ashcroft - the centre diff can self destruct in 5-10 seconds of one prop spinning with the other stationary

One which I've yet to see actually happen, I've seen a few LT230's run like this in the past.