Galv chassis help

Hi all

Basically my dad has a 110 hi cap

We bought this for next to nothing knowing it was rotten knowing we had a big project

Turns out the bulk head is beyond repair so we plan to buy a new one

Some parts of the chassis are rotten too and we are considering a galv chassis route! We have found a td5 rolling chassis on eBay but I'm unsure if the 200tdi will go in? What are the differences?

Just to clarify we have a 1986 hicap and we are looking to put a td5 chassis under it! Can this be done?

Cheers

Tom

You should read up on using second hand chassis, the identity of a vehicle is attached to the chassis, as well as the other major components. Strictly speaking, you'll end up with an illegal vehicle.

From a technical perspective, the engine mounts are very different between a 200tdi and a td5. You don't say whether the td5 chassis is a hi-cap or not.

Yeh i made a similar mistake when i started my rebuild, buying a TD5 chassis from ebay. When i realised the legal minefield i sold it on and bought a new one from Marslands. Cost a bit more, but waay less than getting the truck confiscated should questions about its origins come up!

Many folk do it ofcourse, but that doesnt make it right.

The only legitimate way would be to buy the chassis, as well as the V5C, and enough components to satisfy the DVLA, all from the same vehicle. Buying a 110 TD5 chassis, with its original axles, suspension and steering components attached for instance would give you legitimate grounds to use the TD5 ID. You could then fit your engine/box and bodywork and would have a perfectly legal vehicle wearing the original TD5 numberplates and VIN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom, just want to agree with "signbox" on this one.........I've got the T shirt, read the book and paid for the film rights!!!!

I bought a " New, 90, Richards, Galvanised, rolling chassis" off e-bay............turned out, it wasn't new, it wasn't a 90 and it wasn't a Richards........in fact the only bit about the advert that was true, was that it did ROLL!!!

I have to tell the truth here...........I can hear you all saying AAHHHHH!!!.............I did not go and view it but to be fair (to me) the pictures actually made it look better than it was.

So ended up braking it, getting some of my money back and a pair of disc braked axles out of it................OH, and a whole lot of hassle!!!

What did I do in the end???.........I went to Richards and bought a new one............wish I had done it in the first place.

Hope this prevents you making a similar mistake.

MN

If it wasnt as described you should have just walked away! You are well within your rights to.

I agree with everyone else. Go and get one from one of the well known companies. You wont be disappointed and will save yourself loads of potential hassle.

Jad

my 200tdi galv chassis came from Marsland, as they had it in stock, [Richards needed a 8 to 10 week build time, they didn't have any ready to go] it does have the td5 rear x member but thats just a slight difference, going to start my change this coming weekend.

Hi Jad, :rtfm:................. I said that it was "my mistake" as I bought it unseen...............

Calm down... If the description said " New, 90, Richards, Galvanised, rolling chassis" and it wasnt any of these things, you should have still walked away as its false advertising even if you bought it unseen.

Jad