cost to galvanise a defender bulkhead

Its not that expensive , I had one done, with a few other bits as well, I dont remember , so that tells you it wasnt that much . It is done on a processing charge and weight change basis , as the Zinc and heat is the costly part. But its well worth the cost . HTSH

Ashtree I think it is charge around £600+ to do it for you, they have a jig they put the thing in to try stop it from warping with the heat (they also shot blast it and do any steel repairs that are needed, You can definitely do it for cheaper yourself, but you have to take into consideration transport of said bulkhead and the bracing it up etc...

Some places don't have a minimum charge.

I recently had my bulkhead galvanised along with 20 other parts (battery-box, side-bars, assorted brackets etc) and the total cost was £145 inc VAT. Take into account that £50 of this was transport cost (the galvanisers are 50-miles from me and with the LR stripped I had no-way of transporting the pasrts myself) and they also carried out the prep (blasting & burning) I think it was very reasonable.

With regards to distortion, I was going to make a frame but spoke to the galvaniser's first and they said not to bother as it was more important that there were plenty of holes to prevent air-pockets. I bolted a length of box-section across the two chassis-mounting points, drilled the necessary holes in the hollow sections and that was it.

When I got it back I was very happy. Of course the flat panels had rippled slightly but nothing that showed when it was all built-up and it fitted into place perfectly.

A few tips.

Drill plenty of holes. It is the hollow box-sections that are the problem so ensure that whatever angle the bulkhead is dipped at there will always be escape holes. If you are careful none of them will be visible when it is all built up so don't take any chances. Also if you think you might want to bolt things to the bulkhead in the future drill the holes now so the edges are coated, you can fit captive-nuts at anytime.

Take lots of photos & drawings showing where every hole is located as some of these (the really small ones) will be completely filled in when galvanised and you won't be able to spot them otherwise.

Remove the mesh from behind the vent-flaps otherwise it will become a solid plate of zinc. I ground the welds away and then bonded it back into place afterwards.

Easier to tap holes afterwards as bolts can snap if you are not carefull. Studs however are different and I just wound on several nuts (tight) until the whole thread was covered and they all came off a breeze.

The vent-flap pivot brackets are a pain to clean out but in the end I found a Dremel & grinding bit the quickest solution. Do it carefully as you don't want to grind away too much zinc.

When it came to fitting the nylon inserts for the floor-plates & tunnel I didn't fancy filing away at the metal in-case I exposed steel so I trimmed the nylon insterts instead, worked brilliantly.

Re the vent hinges i used stainless steel bolts it was either 4mm or 5mm , with nyloc nuts . I had no probs with warping and the guys that did it says its mostly caused by the way it is processed , allowing enough temp change time , the quicker they do it the more likely they are to warp .

• 2 weeks later...