Power Steering installation on a 2.5N/A

I've purchased a power steering setup which came off a Disc and i'm wanting to install on my 2.5n/a

It seems to be something that is common to do, but I can find no instructions on the internet or pictures, so I was hoping someone could assist who has done this or knows how to do it.

A step by step guide would be good, or a link to an article explaining this or some pictures of how it looks installed, so I can try and work it out.

Basically any help please and I need to swap it asap

Thanks

I did mine as part of my re-build, only mine also now has a 200tdi from a defender but no PAS.

The disco bits more or less just bolted on. The steering box just bolts on and the column fits. The pipe fit nicely on the inside of the chassis rails. And because mine has a 200tdi the mounting braket for the pump was already there.

Don't bother trying to change the drop arm for a defender one. They are a nightmare to remove. All I did was get the track rod off the disco too. I fabricated a braket to take the steering damper out of some 10mm (probably a bit overkill) alli plate and some U/pipe bolts.

The only difficulty was I had to shim the pump to get the pulleys to align and because the resevoir is at the wrong side on a disco I had to fab a braket to hold it.

The only additional thing you will need it to fab a braket to take the pump too.

I can't help with the pump bracket but I can take pictures of the rest if you want?

I did mine as part of my re-build, only mine also now has a 200tdi from a defender but no PAS.

The disco bits more or less just bolted on. The steering box just bolts on and the column fits. The pipe fit nicely on the inside of the chassis rails. And because mine has a 200tdi the mounting braket for the pump was already there.

Don't bother trying to change the drop arm for a defender one. They are a nightmare to remove. All I did was get the track rod off the disco too. I fabricated a braket to take the steering damper out of some 10mm (probably a bit overkill) alli plate and some U/pipe bolts.

The only difficulty was I had to shim the pump to get the pulleys to align and because the resevoir is at the wrong side on a disco I had to fab a braket to hold it.

The only additional thing you will need it to fab a braket to take the pump too.

I can't help with the pump bracket but I can take pictures of the rest if you want?

if you could send some pictures mate that would be awesome and a great starting point.

my email is; hubbitjh@hotmail.co.uk

cheers

Didn't think the Tdi pmp mounting bracket fitted earlier engines, could be wrong though.?

Basically the alternator mount unbolts off your engine and you fit the combined PAS and alternator mount in its place, it's that simple if the Tdi one fits. Has your engine got a double crankshaft pulley? If not, you'll need to change if for a universal triple one.

Didn't think the Tdi pmp mounting bracket fitted earlier engines, could be wrong though.?

Basically the alternator mount unbolts off your engine and you fit the combined PAS and alternator mount in its place, it's that simple if the Tdi one fits. Has your engine got a double crankshaft pulley? If not, you'll need to change if for a universal triple one.

I was told when I bought it that it is a straight swap........I really hope so otherwise I'm screwed! - yes I have a double pulley as mine was FFR so had 2 alternators (although I took one out)

Thanks for this, I will check

Sorry, I have tried to send the pics, I'll check they're not in my outbox or that I've got the emai address correct.

The pump fitting won't help though because the mounting brackets are different I believe. The 200tdi one is part of the casting itself.

Sorry, I have tried to send the pics, I'll check they're not in my outbox or that I've got the emai address correct.

The pump fitting won't help though because the mounting brackets are different I believe. The 200tdi one is part of the casting itself.

My kit consists of;

Pump

4 bolt swan neck arm

pipes

reservoir

crank pulley (which I don't need anyway)

another small pulley/ tensioner which fit together with the pump and then both need to be fixed to the casing

No one seems to mention this extra small pulley which fits with pump, as this has 3 bolt holes to fix to casing

does this picture help....this is the pump and the extra pulley/tensioner which has 3 holes and looking at markings it has been fixed to the engine previously

Regarding the small pulley, I used to have an additional pulley that tensioned the power steering belt on my 2.25 petrol engine. I believe it was fitted to very early systems.

When the bearing went in it due to mud etc from off road driving I removed the pulley and fitted a later mounting plate that allows the pump to rotate and tension the belt.

I have since sold the petrol engine that would have had the bracket that bolts to the engine. I see that chap that bought it from time to time and would be happy to ask if he wanted to sell it.

I also have my old pump, pipes, reservoir and steering box(3 bolt). They are not fitted to the vehicle but are all connected so if I get some time I may be able to dig the out and take a picture if it would help.

Regarding the small pulley, I used to have an additional pulley that tensioned the power steering belt on my 2.25 petrol engine. I believe it was fitted to very early systems.

When the bearing went in it due to mud etc from off road driving I removed the pulley and fitted a later mounting plate that allows the pump to rotate and tension the belt.

I have since sold the petrol engine that would have had the bracket that bolts to the engine. I see that chap that bought it from time to time and would be happy to ask if he wanted to sell it.

I also have my old pump, pipes, reservoir and steering box(3 bolt). They are not fitted to the vehicle but are all connected so if I get some time I may be able to dig the out and take a picture if it would help.

if you could ask him about bracket that would be great

Thanks