1997 Landrover v8 fuel problems

John a

Hi all

I've got a problem with my v8 discovery, it runs 40litres per 100 kms so on a full tank I get 200kms. I've changed the plugs,leads,dizzy cap an button. Fuel pressure is 28 psi , air flow sensor is working, stepper motor working, changed all vacume lines..????? Any advice would be a great help.

Regards

John

I will check the coolant temperature sensor and thermostat on the weekend and I'm using road tyres at the moment will the sensor make that much difference on the fuel consumption as that's a lot of fuel (40L per 100kms?)

Yes it will ! My Astra is diesel, but the temp sensor was faulty and it went from a regular 60 - 62 mpg down to 40......................

I believe most, if not all vehicles nowadays can have this problem, and in the winter I now cover half the radiator to get it to warm up quicker too, in order to retain the fuel milage, but This is more of a problem with diesels, which take longer to heat up in the first place.

Think it may also depend on your driving style, I had my 3.9 running tip top and could and regularly did return 35L/100Kms but when you got a V8 auto you can indeed drive it like you stole it :P

Are there any other symptoms apart from high consumption? How long have you had it? has it been like this the whole time?

I had a lambda issue once which resulted in rougher running and worse consumption, just wonder if you have running issues also?

I've had it for 4 months Nigel and it's always been like this,I'm light footed so I don't think it's my driving style...if this is how much fuel it is going to consume I might as well do away with the injection and change the manifold and convert it to carby?

if this is how much fuel it is going to consume I might as well do away with the injection and change the manifold and convert it to carby?

Then you'd lose even more fuel (& performance)! If you're going to be drastic, megasquirt it!

Can also be dodgy airflow meter, air temp sensor (in airflow meter), or lambda sensors.

I've had it for 4 months Nigel and it's always been like this,I'm light footed so I don't think it's my driving style...if this is how much fuel it is going to consume I might as well do away with the injection and change the manifold and convert it to carby?

Take it from me, the Rover EFI system is actually very reliable, and inexpensively simple to maintain, normally you should be half that consumption on a bad day! Don't waste time nor money on carbs without first sorting out this problem, carbs may seem like good idea but almost without a doubt unless they are new you are just buying other peoples problems and cast offs.

Start cheap and work your way through the system, we are all here to help.

Take it from me, the Rover EFI system is actually very reliable, and inexpensively simple to maintain, normally you should be half that consumption on a bad day! Don't waste time nor money on carbs without first sorting out this problem, carbs may seem like good idea but almost without a doubt unless they are new you are just buying other peoples problems and cast offs.

Start cheap and work your way through the system, we are all here to help.

Morning all I tested the coolant sensor this morning and it was reading 320 ohms is that normal when the car is hot?