Fitting new valve stem seals to 300Tdi - Any precautions or tips?

Troll Hunter

I'm planning to fit new rubber valve stem seals (part no. ETC8663) but can't find anything in the Tech Archive that covers this operation. Have I overlooked something? It doesn't look too difficult a job, if you have a valve spring compressor. Are there any special precautions I should take, or any tips anyone can give me? Any recommendation on type of spring compressor, since I still have to buy one?

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi.

Last time I did one, i forgot to borrow a spring compressor.. The head was of at the time, but i reckon it would have been the same with it still attached to the engine.

I put some 10mm flat iron between two of the rockercover bolts and using the ring end of an 22mm spanner compressed the springs in a breakerbar way. I did have the help of a friend though. If you make sure the the piston on the cylinder you are working on is in tdc, then it should be doable this way.

Regards mads.