Copping flack from Horsey Type People while laning

ellebarto

After driving in the Peaks the other weekend and getting the usual abuse from walkers and horse riders I had some footage of a couple of riders I thought I’d share. I was personally irritated by the attitudes of the other lane users in comparison to our own so I made this because I thought it was about time I showed the other side of the coin.

I am not suggesting these riders should not be on the lane!

An undesired effect however was a torrent of hassle from horsey type people but also to my surprise other Land Rover owners who seem to think me showing this is wrong and that I handled the situation incorrectly.

I’d just be interested in other people’s opinions? All opinions welcome even if you do think I did something wrong. Always happy to learn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgBlpDekTM

Hi,

The other option is to stop and turn off motors and let them pass.

Not sure why the comment about them in the pub though? There was no evidence of outrage though I may have missed it, I understand that horse riders up there are not keen on us.

My mate lives in the Lakes and is a major horse lover competed in al sorts and wife has a stable but their landies (even his Series 1) are only for the road.

I have seen negative results of horse riding though.

Some years ago another mate was horse whipped for passing a rider at tick over on a road motorcycle.....on a main road!

Nearby is a green lane that was so cut up by hoof holes that it was un-walk-able for ten years until driven by off roaders who put wheel tracks in that could be walked in. The rest of the lane was still unusable!

Its to do with the propaganda of the Peaks groups who make out in the press all 4x4's are the devil. In the Peaks it's particular bad. I didn't say outrage and it might not come across fully in the video but the rider tuts and asks her friend how many of us are there. You know, in that tone your Mrs uses when she's accusing you of something! :unsure: We are on a straight road with a few for 500 yards. Clearly it's just us.

My brother is driving, who is a portly chaps. You need to turn the volume up to hear what she says to him as we pass!

The video isn't a criticism of the riders exactly, more making a tongue in cheek point that we do show appropriate respect.

Interestingly I've had some horsey people now post comments on the video saying thanks for posting and the riders were rude not being pleasant. She things it may discourage us being as accommodating in future!

I'd say always pull over and switch off engines for horses, works with tramplers as well especially if they have kids or dogs with them.

I'd do the same on narrow tarmac roads too..

I see where your coming from but you'd never be moving in the Peaks if you did that!

Its to do with the propaganda of the Peaks groups who make out in the press all 4x4's are the devil. In the Peaks it's particular bad. I didn't say outrage and it might not come across fully in the video but the rider tuts and asks her friend how many of us are there. You know, in that tone your Mrs uses when she's accusing you of something! :unsure: We are on a straight road with a few for 500 yards. Clearly it's just us.

My brother is driving, who is a portly chaps. You need to turn the volume up to hear what she says to him as we pass!

The video isn't a criticism of the riders exactly, more making a tongue in cheek point that we do show appropriate respect.

Interestingly I've had some horsey people now post comments on the video saying thanks for posting and the riders were rude not being pleasant. She things it may discourage us being as accommodating in future!

Fair enough not experienced oop north!

at least they didnt lash out with their horse whips, i have experienced that.

the vehicle they lashed out at had come round a blind corner at a sensible speed, on a country road, and as soon as they had seen the horse rider slowed down as smoothly and quickly as possible so as to not alarm the horse.

i was behind the horse going in the other direction and this rider started yelling and whipping the now stationary 4x4. no doubt creating more alarming noises than the 4x4 did...

its just how some poeple are. they think they are on their high horse and in the right, just because its not a 4x4! i guess we just have to do all we can and live with this flack we get just for the hobby that we have chosen.

Back to sides again :(

That is unfortunately the reality of the Peaks. The walkers and ramblers are making all kinds of claims and in response...........well we are just being nice. I actually have far less of an issue with the horse riders but I thought this showed how much care we do take!.

I see where your coming from but you'd never be moving in the Peaks if you did that!

Good reason to go mid week out of holiday season.

Although the last time I was there so much of what we used to drive was TROed or downgraded we decided it was no longer worth the effort.

I'm glad things are so good up there they don't need the business in the petrol stations pubs and B&Bs.

I wouldn't spend my money in the Peaks now out of principal.

p.s.

living in the peaks my whole life, i have come to assume that 4x4 drivers are looked down on by other lane users, purely by experience.

i must admit that it wasnt untill i went greenlaning in wales for the first time that i realised that a lot of other users are more than polite to us greenlaners. some even opening/holding open gates for us which i have never experienced before in derbyshire. in fact i have seen poeple blocking gates to make it more effort for us 4x4 drivers to get through..

and farmers.. thats what pishes me off, i dont care if they decide that they want to make life harder for us greenlaners, but as a farmer aswell... nothing is more annoying than someone having chained one of your gates shut, or moved rocks across the track... (which by the size of some of them they probably put their back out trying to move it!)

p.s.

living in the peaks my whole life, i have come to assume that 4x4 drivers are looked down on by other lane users, purely by experience.

i must admit that it wasnt untill i went greenlaning in wales for the first time that i realised that a lot of other users are more than polite to us greenlaners. some even opening/holding open gates for us which i have never experienced before in derbyshire. in fact i have seen poeple blocking gates to make it more effort for us 4x4 drivers to get through..

and farmers.. thats what pishes me off, i dont care if they decide that they want to make life harder for us greenlaners, but as a farmer aswell... nothing is more annoying than someone having chained one of your gates shut, or moved rocks across the track... (which by the size of some of them they probably put their back out trying to move it!)

Exactly my experience. As I've said, I rarely go to the Peaks now. Its a great shame and there does seem a great deal of intolerance towards 4x4 drivers and trail bikes. I'd be OK (not dead happy) with some council implemented rules like restricted numbers each weekend or whatever but nope, it has to be an all out ban!

I went there once with some mates, was a bit far from Ipswich in a series 3 just for a weekend away from the wife, but I digress.....

I actually decided that I would never go again after such childish and ridiculous antics were displayed by ramblers, actually just standing there in the middle of the byway, one lot even stood there for 15 minutes hurling abuse at us, 3 trucks on a dry day with hard dry ground conditions, what Fing harm were we doing??

I work in the horse industry and on this planet you will never meet a more self important, head stuck up their own asses group of people, yes I do have a broad brush to tar with but I have been doing this a long time now and I have come to hate a great many of them, some I actually do get along with but they have some wacky views on life and a lack of reality and consideration for others, they can be the most ignorant bunch especially when perched on their beasts.

its just how some poeple are. they think they are on their high horse and in the right, just because its not a 4x4! i guess we just have to do all we can and live with this flack we get just for the hobby that we have chosen.

Ha ha they of course they were sat on their high horse!

Funny thing is, the last comment about the Peakes on TV I saw was that the hill top paths were to be closed due to pedestrian errossion!

I went there once with some mates, was a bit far from Ipswich in a series 3 just for a weekend away from the wife, but I digress.....

I actually decided that I would never go again after such childish and ridiculous antics were displayed by ramblers, actually just standing there in the middle of the byway, one lot even stood there for 15 minutes hurling abuse at us, 3 trucks on a dry day with hard dry ground conditions, what Fing harm were we doing??

I work in the horse industry and on this planet you will never meet a more self important, head stuck up their own asses group of people, yes I do have a broad brush to tar with but I have been doing this a long time now and I have come to hate a great many of them, some I actually do get along with but they have some wacky views on life and a lack of reality and consideration for others, they can be the most ignorant bunch especially when perched on their beasts.

To be honest when the horse stuff blew up in my face I thought they would be all over one of my other video's that was specifically design to get their backs up!

.....Funny thing is, the last comment about the Peakes on TV I saw was that the hill top paths were to be closed due to pedestrian errossion!

So if they close the paths even to pedestrians who exactly are they preserving them for?

Will it eventually be like Stone Henge where you can only view it from the outside unless you are a film crew or can claim some sort of religious right?

Maybe we should invent a religion that requires us to worship the trails with 4x4's?

So if they close the paths even to pedestrians who exactly are they preserving them for?

Will it eventually be like Stone Henge where you can only view it from the outside unless you are a film crew or can claim some sort of religious right?

Maybe we should invent a religion that requires us to worship the trails with 4x4's?

I read this comment and instantly wondered if there would be a case to answer from the European court of human rights based on discrimination? I mean walkers get to tramp all over, never seen a bridleway closed off or TRO'd and only ever seen vehicular rights of way closed off or downgraded.

Just an idle thought on my day off.

• 1 month later...

This is just a quick comedy short we put together recently whilst out filming a Roger the Rambler 2 parody film.

Just to point out, it is an ad lib attempt at humor and is not making any kind of serious point!

WARNING – If you didn't like my horse focused film I made last year you will hate this one, so. please don’t watch!

• 4 weeks later...

One trick I've used countless times is to pull to one side, switch off your engine and ask them if they've seen any sheep wondering about, (3 white 2 black for example) and tell them the trouble you've had finding said missing sheep or something. 9 times out of 10 the answer wil be no they haven't seen them in which case you thank them and carry on the off road fun! amazing the level of respect you get if they think your a innocent local farmer going about his daily chores...... Maybe not the most honest approach but it certainly shuts them up! Hehe

One trick I've used countless times is to pull to one side, switch off your engine and ask them if they've seen any sheep wondering about, (3 white 2 black for example) and tell them the trouble you've had finding said missing sheep or something. 9 times out of 10 the answer wil be no they haven't seen them in which case you thank them and carry on the off road fun! amazing the level of respect you get if they think your a innocent local farmer going about his daily chores...... Maybe not the most honest approach but it certainly shuts them up! Hehe

you should hear the **** i get for being a farmer on my own land.... modified series 3 on private track/field... hmm thinks horsey/wa;ker person coming the other way. ive been stopped and had a full on bollocking from some randomer. till i turned round told them it was dads farm, showed him the fencing stakes in the back and told him if he didnt want reporting for tresspassing on private land to be on his merry way :)

probably should have not retaliated but the pure cheek of being told off by a tresspasser for being on your own land is rediculous