value rotten land rover series III perkins 1/2 ton

xychix

Basically, yes.

But whatever LR you have your wife will learn to hate it until she realises that it is better to come back home wreaking of EP80 than cheap perfume.

If you want to cruise at 70 and get 30mpg in relative comfort (to a series), buy a TDI defender. Or actually just forget about it and buy a Toyota.

I was hoping to find a cheap 110 2.5na here in france until i noticed this lightweight that might be a giveaway...

Other option is to sell my transit and buy a 130 in holland (where i live) and have the 130 as daily driver. I'd assume my simple old tranny will be cheaper to keep on the road. Especially since it only has 80.000 km/s now. So although 13 years old, it is just waking up.

I'll keep my eyes open for a 90/110 to have on french license and maybe check out the lightweight once more to see if it makes my hands itchy.

Bye the way, I'd assume the lightweight runs on normal '95 gasonline!? no old led coated stuff... ? (I'm not into gasoline at all.)

I think originally it needed leaded fuel, however the general consensus is that just run it on unleaded (even down to 85 octane) until eventually the head needs doing anyways, and probably the rest of the engine, and replace the seats then.

I'll stick with diesel then.

My old transit 2.5di (diesel) runs on everything, just as happy, as long as it has a proper fuel filter in place I could pee in the tank after a night of good drinks.

Thanks for all the info guys, it was a pleasure. You'll see me around more (here and in defender forum) as a Defender is on my list for years now, no proper alternative found so far. Love them or leave them :) (and yes I know a Toyota is easier, especially if you have a dealer to service it :P :P )

I've looked back to the pictures, in France its apparently normal to have a sticker on the vehicle lisiting these ratings.

I've found:

PTAC = Poids Total Autorisé en Charge
PV = Poids à Vide

PTRA = Poids Total Roulant Autorisé (exemple : PTAC voiture + PTAC

PTRA = 4646 kg

PTAC voiture = 2020

That leaves 2626 for the trailer I assume...

La Nièvre is not that poor ! ! I see it is in 'depot vente' i.e. garage selling on behalf of owner. If the carte grise is in the name of the owner no problems for registering. Weld it up , get the c.t. and then change the carte grise to your name. The most important is that all the chassis numbers and carte grise numbers match . The paper is more important than the metal !

How to get this vehicle, just get the papers and car and take it with me.

Can i take 5 years for patching it up or do I need the previous owner in order to change it to my name?

Can I change it to my name without CT?

I think originally it needed leaded fuel, however the general consensus is that just run it on unleaded (even down to 85 octane) until eventually the head needs doing anyways, and probably the rest of the engine, and replace the seats then.

And then we're talking 500.000 kilometers or do these blocks go every 100.000 on '95 fuel?

They'll go on for a very very long time on unleaded, but not 500K.

Realistically how many miles would you do in one a year?

Say it takes 60K to ruin the head, I would expect you'd probably have the head of at some point in that time :) Honestly, it;s a cheap job to get the machine shop to put some hardened seats in the existing head, think it was about £100 about 5 years ago for me.

If you keep the vehicle in France you cannot change the carte grise to your name without a C.T. done within the last 6 months. The regulations changed recently I have found out. (Bought RRC engine in bits but the owner has changed address and so needs new cg , but no cg without ct , so I am rebuilding the vehicle for the ct so that he can have new cg then transfer to me, in the mean time I have to have faith in him and him in me !!!).

When you buy the vehicle you must have a 'certificate de cession' signed by the vendor, then when you register in your name for a cg after the ct , you have evidence for the adminstration that the previous owner has sold the vehicle. I don't think there is a time limit .

Yes you can collect the vehicle with the papers and go. The owner will want you to sign the ' certificate of cession ' so that he is not responsible for the vehicle after the date of sale .

Never lose or damage the carte grise ! ( a mouse chewed part of one of mine but to get a duplicate need a ct less than 6 months) french administration...................

• 4 weeks later...

Being on my 3rd Land Rover rebuild project (a Series 2b FC with a Series 1 80 and a Series 3 109 already done), perhaps I can put my twopennorth in.

That vehicle is a long term project. It needs a new chassis and a fair amount of work on the bulkhead, the rest of the bodywork is sheet metal (some ally, some steel) easily done with a guillotine (can I say that in France?) and a 'Box and Pan' machine. There is nothing in the drive line mechanics that is not readily available (I have two serviceable take-out petrol engines taking up space in my workshop that I value at scrap weight). Gearboxes are available and easy to overhaul with cheap parts. There are very few, if any, important parts that are not available from UK suppliers. "We have the technology, we can rebuild it"

The question is do you want to. If you do it properly it will take years and cost a fair bit, but will be worth it if you enjoy the work, you will not get your money back and your time will be free. You will need a suitable workshop. If you just want to drive around in a Land Rover as soon as possible, then take out a loan and buy one that works; you can use the time you won't be working on a project to get a job in a pub to pay the loan off!

On the subject of using it instead of a car, I worked out years ago that if you needed(wanted?) a Land Rover, it would drink so much petrol that it would be cheaper to have a car as well. the 2.25 petrol drinks petrol, the 2.25 Diesel is not much better and you should expect to hold the traffic up on slight upward slopes. Only if you go to a modern engine (200 Tdi) will you get a reasonable MPG. You are never going to go fast in a Series Land Rover.

If you really, really want that Land Rover and will enjoy the years of rebuilding, then go ahead. If that isn't what you want, don't.

As for the price; if it were in the UK I would say start at £50. There is nothing on it of any great value and the dealer is probably fed up with looking at it.

Whatever, good luck!

• 3 months later...

And yes, it's still on my mind. In holland I'd go for a Defender 130, but with tax regulations on driving a commercial vehicle that is owned by the (my own) compagny at the end of the line I'd pay ~7500 Euro's of extra tax, while on my current Ford Transit that would be ~1500 Euro's....

I don't mind paying for a hobby, however I refuse throwing money at my government (especially regarding what they do with it).

Therefore I'd have money and time available to keep a french landy on the road. (time is shared with building a 6 meter * 10.5 meter garage out of cement and stones on my own, this can be the workshop in the end...)

I'll have a look if it's still there in a little and aks what is needed regarding paperworks to get it 'ct' (road legal) again. First demand would be to get it road legal asap and then slowly improve it. I don't fancy a 100% project rebuild. I'd rather keep it on the road. However I tend to dive at stuff as they go.

Started cleaning/painting the wheel arches of my transit today (was planning all four in 1 day) and now 1 wheel is of and i'll fetch the welder tomorrow as its all rotten... :P

Dropped by today to ask for papers.

Guy said he had the papers and there was one 'tuyau' that needed replacement, for under 1000 Euro's it would be 'back on the road but not perfect'.

1000 euro's for a hose seems a bit much :P I'll now dive into the paperworks that would be needed and how tax works out if the car sits here doing nothing.

You are never going to go fast in a Series Land Rover.

I'd beg to differ! Even a little V8 will make for a hilariously brilliant drive, and with appropriate gearing and a bit of restraint you will get reasonable MPG (as in, equal or better than the 2.25 petrol). If you don't do many miles it's a very practical prospect. The laws of aerodynamics dictate you're not going to be tailgating BMW's all down the fast lane, but you'll easily keep up with traffic, sound brilliant, and have a huge grin.

If you keep the vehicle in France you cannot change the carte grise to your name without a C.T. done within the last 6 months. The regulations changed recently I have found out. (Bought RRC engine in bits but the owner has changed address and so needs new cg , but no cg without ct , so I am rebuilding the vehicle for the ct so that he can have new cg then transfer to me, in the mean time I have to have faith in him and him in me !!!).

When you buy the vehicle you must have a 'certificate de cession' signed by the vendor, then when you register in your name for a cg after the ct , you have evidence for the adminstration that the previous owner has sold the vehicle. I don't think there is a time limit .

Yes you can collect the vehicle with the papers and go. The owner will want you to sign the ' certificate of cession ' so that he is not responsible for the vehicle after the date of sale .

Never lose or damage the carte grise ! ( a mouse chewed part of one of mine but to get a duplicate need a ct less than 6 months) french administration...................

I've figured something out that also might be interesting to you.

The seller of the car must apply for a CT (if current one is older than 6 months) however it's ok to fail this CT. A fail for CT will still allow the Carte Grise to be changed on your name.

That depends what you mean by "fit";

Without major modification you can fit almost any Land Rover 4-cyl engine (2.25, 2.5, 200TDi, 300TDi)

With an adapter plate you can fit almost anything, common conversions are: Rover V8, Perkins diesel, Isuzu diesel, Mazda diesel, Daihatsu diesel, Ford Transit, Ford V6...

Not all of those are very nice though, certainly I've not heard many good things about the Ford Transit conversion, and the bigger diesels (3L+) tend to kill drivetrains.

Not all of those are very nice though, certainly I've not heard many good things about the Ford Transit conversion, and the bigger diesels (3L+) tend to kill drivetrains.

Likely transit engines with turbo's

A 2.5 di has only 69 horses...

I think it is more the noise of them.... being DI.

correct I'm driving a 2.5 di non-turbo manual bosch pump at the moment in my transit mk5. Love the machine. Doesn't break complex parts because there aren't any.

And since the transit itself rusts away around the drive-train & engines are available cheap.