TI Console Disc Brakes

Jiggle

A buddy in the US is selling a front and rear disc brake kit on ebay not to mention a power steering setup.

Anyone know if you can get replacement pads for this setup? he said they are the same as some mercedes van... but didn't know for sure.

sorry for the plug. he's good guy.

edited to remove blatant plug, bit OTT for first post, Tonk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yep, Rocky Mountain.

They appear fairly hard to find though. Dont know why as theyre a cracking product.

I can only imagine that these are the ones that were designed and made by BCB Offroad in the States, before they closed for business. They were a hub conversion allowing you to use RR calipers and disc's, wasn't cheap in the States so likely to be outrageous here. AFAIK Tim Cooper sold all their designs/rights etc, so maybe someone else is making them.

I think if RM were producing them they'd be making a song and dance about them. But I'm not unaccustomed to being wrong!

Andy

I can only imagine that these are the ones that were designed and made by BCB Offroad in the States, before they closed for business. They were a hub conversion allowing you to use RR calipers and disc's, wasn't cheap in the States so likely to be outrageous here. AFAIK Tim Cooper sold all their designs/rights etc, so maybe someone else is making them.

I think if RM were producing them they'd be making a song and dance about them. But I'm not unaccustomed to being wrong!

Andy

I've seen the RM ones at a show and they use a vented disk and 4 pot caliper. Cant remeber if they were std rangie ones but I suspect you're right - they were the BCB design ones.

I had a very long conversation with BCB about their conversions a couple of years back. Really really nice idea, but the availability was atrocious. They didn't have any and couldnt tell me when they were going to be available. Months later they still couldnt tell me when they were gonna be available........

IIRC the cost in the states was around the £1500 mark, and that was only for the conversion hubs, you still had to source disks, calipers etc. Add shipping, duty and VAT to that and it becomes a very very expensive conversion!

I have to say that, to date, the BCB disc conversion is the only one I've seen commercially available that I would consider to be well engineered and fit for purpose.

The zeus and TI Console/ Chris perfect ones are both just plain horrible!

None of them are a cheap conversion.

Jon

i wasn't sayin mine are necessarily better engineered, although they probably are :P , i just dont like sliding calipers in the mud for obvious reasons, its the price you have to pay for a bolt on kit which put me off, plus i like providing my own engineered solutions to things, gives me summat to lie awake at night thinking about :rolleyes:

Yep - taking an angle grinder to the swivel housing to allow the calipers to clear is a bodge IMHO.

There are things with my conversion I would like to have done better, but everything is a compromise, especially where cost is a concern!

That said mines been on disks for about 3 years now and I've not had an ounce of trouble with them! In all that time I've only changed the pads once to boot!

Jon

Jon

i wasn't sayin mine are necessarily better engineered, although they probably are :P , i just dont like sliding calipers in the mud for obvious reasons, its the price you have to pay for a bolt on kit which put me off, plus i like providing my own engineered solutions to things, gives me summat to lie awake at night thinking about :rolleyes:

My line of thought was to have some adaptors/spacers made to bolt the complete RR swivel hub assembly to the end of a series axle and then use the RR halfshafts as well. I didn't know then that the track rod would go through the leaf spring :( , however I've noticed that later coiler axles have both LHD and RHD swivel hub's with the LHD drag arm redundant, meaning you could connect them with a new track bar then run a drag link off the track bar, any reason why that wouldn't work?

you could fit your drag link to the same point as the track bar ball joint, you'd have to use rose jints though. i dont think attaching the drag link anywhere along the track bar would be strong enough, it would bow all the time you were trying to steer.

you say u're planning to use rangie shafts in a series axle, too long maybe? or were you planning to shorten them?

Theres a Diahatsu track rod end that allows you to stack the rods so will allow you to do this.

However the problem with doing it this way is that it does strange things to the Ackerman, which affects the handling (but dont ask me to explain it casue I dont really understand it myself!) something to do with Ackerman versus reverse ackerman or something......

Jon

you could fit your drag link to the same point as the track bar ball joint, you'd have to use rose jints though. i dont think attaching the drag link anywhere along the track bar would be strong enough, it would bow all the time you were trying to steer.

you say u're planning to use rangie shafts in a series axle, too long maybe? or were you planning to shorten them?

Firstly, I'm not planning on modding any series axles at the moment :rolleyes:

It was a lying in bed moment :) the spacers/adaptors would have to be as thick as the extra length of driveshaft, they would be drilled and tapped from either side to take the different bolt pattern(?) ie. series to RR. you could even offset the castor to suit your lift.

I have no experience of reverse ackerman, but Bill Van Snorkel runs his this way and says it improves turn in off road, I don't think he has any issues on road either. The Daihatsu TRE is a good tip is the Taper the same?

Does it sound doable?

Andy

Rocky Mountain are of their own design, not BCB. They use easily obtainable Domestic (North American) brake components machined to fit. The hard part is making the bracket to hold the caliper, they've done this nicely. I saw them when they were still in pre-production and met the guy Ray was working with to develope them. They look very easy to fit and seem to be of a good design.

Rocky Mountain is at www.parabolicsprings.com

Wise Owl is at www.wiseowlparts.com

The brakes aren't shown on either site. I don't know why as they're supposed to be in production and seem great.

Here are photos of an installation:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rover_r_us/album?.dir=/9259