Trailing arms....

muddy

What's the collectives preferred method of beefing these up? I have plus five shocks but no lift so a small crank might not go amiss but nothing serious, do I weld angle down them, some 10x30 plate, sleeve them with some ~5mm gas pipe, box, wrap them in led rope lights?

Weights no real issue I've just put put half a Sherman on in the guise of a steering gaurd so a little more low down won't hurt, cheap is good, strong is best! I want to retain standard bushings.

So what have you done, what works what doesn't?

Usage is heavy RTV defender.

Will.

I was looking a little while ago for some H/D ones but they have to look standard for the technical inspection and all the ones I found looked rock solid but nowhere near standard looking.

Anyone seen any made from bright steel bar that look stock?

As I recall I don't think you can get them anymore they were superceded by the chocolate ones they now fit the set I have came off a D reg 110. They are noticeable larger than the "standard" ones I've not seen them on discos or 90's so could be a heavy duty thing on early coilers.

Mike

Thanks chaps. Bollox to ALRC I can't be doing with a massive repair list after every trial! ( we are not Alrc )

I'll see if I have some thicker ones in the shed otherwise it'll be angle iron like the last ones I made. Seemingly I was over thinking this!

Will.

My friend had a standard one fail just recently on a lane - just fatigue from poor material quality by the look of it.

It's that that, coupled with the stresses I perceive mine to have with the long travel set up, that has prompted my desire to replace it.

I appreciate everyone has different driving styles and perceived usage, we are trialing on and off a CCV course usually in working quarry's so the potential for damage is usually pretty high if you venture off the perfect line. I'm trying to build something reliable, I spend all week fixing tractors in poo I don't want to spend my Sundays fixing the Landy!

Will.

Well, mine are 42 year old and it was 20 year old before it was written off flying through a hedge upside down, so hard it cracked the rear caliper lug. Add on another 20 year of trials, comps winch challenge and I'm supecting the early ones are a different breed :)

I found some in the shed earlier, my current 1995 ( bent ) ones are ~27mm OD with an end like this

post-1505-0-14485200-1389822625_thumb.jpg

The others are ~31mm OD and I found a chopped one that had a wall thickness of ~3mm the end looks like this

post-1505-0-81185900-1389822640_thumb.jpg

How do these compare to your early RRC ones?

I seem to recall once having some that appeared to be smaller OD still but IIRC were solid bar.

Will.

I get 32mm tube. There is a friction weld just before the donut chassis mount.

I could have been lucky with them, but it's seen off a rear diff, the rear shock was so bent on the tube it knocked, anchors on the chassis are bent up and the brake pipe used to be smacked flat against the axel case (still worked though). I'm assuming like other parts, the early stuff has better metal? Also, it has only ever run rangy rims on the back, which leave the radius arm less exposed than rims with a lot of offset. (even more so now it runs 265 on the back).

Either way up, they don't sound like they are 5mm thick or anything when 'ultrasound' tested with a hammer?

Also, it's cold down there on the floor :o

They sound very similar to the ones I have. I bent the current ones mounting a bumper height rock, sliding the chassis along it bending the elephants ear up some more and finally onto the trailing arm before the back wheel mounted it. It's bent it about 6" from the donut.

I think I'll have a wander round the scrappy and see if I can find some tube that's a tight fit or otherwise get some angle on them so it slides easier.

Will.

We like to use the standard 300tdi era standard arms, bent then braced with some 5mm wall angle, never bent these with 3 years of challenging on them.

I wouldnt like to use the earlier larger diameter arms, they're considerably lighter and thus i feel weaker. probably not the case however!

The really really early RRC trailing arms are incredibly thin things, i've seen loads of those bent to buggery!