Speedo Options - Series 2 Transmission

ajh

I'm just finishing up the new dash and need to decide if I re-use the original speed or put the 200TDI one in place which I'd prefer to do but I'd also like the option of getting a more modern VDO unit as well. Are there turnkey hall effect senders that will fit the Series 2 transmission or a hybrid speedo cable that'll let me run the 200TDI speedo available somewhere?

You could use a trans ducer from a RRC efi , this had a cable drive speedo , with a transducer (pulse generator) in line dont think will work with Td5 speedo, but might be OK with VDO

This is the part

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMR3386-Speed-Transducer-for-Range-Rover-Discovery-ETC-with-speedo-cable-/151208903494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2334c0c346

I've had a thought during the day...I remember discussions about TD5 speedo's and transducers, but it might have been about fitting the transducer to the LT230 in my 109 and a TD5 head in the dash, so no it might not work for you, the transducer might not fit the SII box

This another thing on my list as my speedo is vastly out.

What I thought was to make a round washer type thing that would use the three screws to hold it in with a stud and nut for ftting a later sender. I have not performed a physical check yet though.

To use the RRC transducer would be a good option but you will need the plate off the old cable. IIRC the transducer has a short cable from gbox to it then a long cable to speedo which would not be needed.

Alternative, look for digital speedo senders on line, there are lots for Harleys, these also have a short cable with a sender on the end and work with digital speedos.

Is a SII/III the same fitting as SI?

Marc

I know the lights are not in the newer speedo units; I have a solution for this. Is the transfer case speedo cable end the same on both the Series and Defender? I know the retaining clip is different; but if I pull the Series cable will the Defender cable fit?

I believe the series cable is triangular? and fits in the defender lt230 but the defender cable is square and wont fit in the series transmission... Although everything I am sure can be modded!

Waiting to be corrected!

Jad

I believe the series cable is triangular? and fits in the defender lt230 but the defender cable is square and wont fit in the series transmission... Although everything I am sure can be modded!

Waiting to be corrected!

Jad

I thought it was square too! Looking at The 109's, I need to order a new one...if I do I'll let you know!

If you want a more modern looking speedo work out the TPM needed for your gearing and have a look at the aftermarket gauges available for Triumphs, MG's, etc. a lot of them use the same cable and there's a lot more choice of styles.

I've fitted a Triumph Stag speedo to mine, I chose it as it looks virtually identical to the standard one but reads closer to my gearing.