Log splitters

Landyrich

This will be used in my garage to fire up the heater maintain my Landy, so therefore is Landy related ?

Anyhow - I'm looking to purchase a powered log splitter for home use

Anyone got any tips or "don't go near " comments please ?

I have a splitting maul axe which is quite good with me behind it, but I'm looking for somthing on an occasional basis to sort out the more stubborn bits

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Are you thinking electric or petrol powered. Having used both types I find the petrol powered ones far less likely to send the split wood into orbit, I assume it's down to the torque characteristics of the motor.

That said the petrol ones are a bit antisocial in a residential environment.....

Probably electric, as I also have some neighbours not too far away

, although I have just been reading about a Sealey foot operated one which gets good reviews ?

Will probally only get used a handful of days a year depending on when and what wood comes my way ,

I did look at hiring one , but it's £100 a day !!! So if I buy one I have it for the long term and 2-3 hires will pay pretty much towards the cost,

i had one of the 'Handy' horizontal electric ones where the hydraulic pump is on the end of the motor. After just a year or so's use i found the shock of the wood cracking sent a shock wave through the hydraulics and started to break the casting on the electric motor. When i enquired about spares to repair it the shop said it was a common problem and that spares were no longer available. My neighbour rented a petrol driven one and it was really effective. if i were in the market for one, i would go for a vertical petrol driven model.

Nigel

The rep reckoned that with the heavy flywheel it can cope with pretty much anything you can put in it. But of course they use nice soft straight grained stuff in the video, so unless someone's going to the states to try one we'll never know.

I did you tube these also, but it seemed they were splitting dry crispy wood with um, which is fine if your lucky enough to have a pile of that,

But I'm interested on wet knarly stuff ready to be seasoned for next year really

I have looked at a Sealey type, which is basicly a 8 tonne foot operated bottle jack with a wedge on the top, there cheap, and simple but just wondering how effective they were ?

I found the generic cheap electric ones to be surprisingly good for what they are (if you ignore the near death experiences from flying wood). They will cope with quite difficult bits but you will get bored with the speed of them and also be tempted to overload them, important spares seem to cost as much as a new splitter.

The petrol one I have will split quicker than the electric and bigger lumps without seeming to be over loaded. Most of the parts are generic hydraulic parts so can be easily replaced if they fail, however even though mine claims to be towable don't trust towing it anywhere more than the length of your garden.

The bigger your splitter the more free wood you will get! Nobody wants the big gnarly pieces because they cant split them, the big petrol splitters will either split them or splinter them into kindling.

Do you think that arm sticking up at 45 degrees with something on the end is a guard on the first one? :P

I wonder how often the axe heads come off these spinning wheels? There are quite a few different examples of these splitters on youtube, strangely all of the users still seem to have two hands :blink: