Guards for rear (small) windows.

After having my rear small widow removed and back door opened and stuff knicked out of the back, I am trying to replace it while hopefully making things harder for the thieving ******* in future. I have order some rear window mesh guards from Devon 4x4 which look useful, anyone fitted these? Is it difficult?

Also, as they took the window with them for some reason I have bought a new window and seals, any tips for fitting this please? Please all beware just how easy it is to open a locked rear station wagon door by removing the small onside rear window !! Many thanks all.

The interior mounted guards will keep fingers off the interior of the glass while not preventing washing on the outside. Exterior guards make washing a pain. However, while both work well, the exterior type have a visual deterrent. Sadly, they are also more prone to rust and look horrible...

A 'windscreen filler strip insert tool' and washing up liquid will save your sanity when putting the filler strip in! Surprising how many Defenders you see with the strip on the outside!

I've not seen windscreens or windows with the strip anywhere but the outside.

Fords as well both the Transit the D series and the Cargo

There is a video on youtube that shows how easy it is to knock one of those windows out, it literally only takes a few seconds :(

I have the internal guards fitted, main downside is it makes windows almost impossible to clean (you'll be surprised how much dust builds up), but I'd rather the windows dirty than some bugger half inching the 110 or it's contents.

See if you can pick up a bit of 6mm or 8mm perspex, cut to suit with a jigsaw and bolt over the outside with a tap washer spacer, with the wire on the inside, and all held together with four smooth headed bolts nipped up on the inside. Visual deterrent from the wire, unbreakable on the outside, and you can still get a thin thing/hose in to clean the glass (or stick a bit of foam around the edge to keep the mank out.)

• Like 1

I have Masia rear windows, which are bonded, so can't be pushed out. They can still be broken, though.

A thought about all these window guards is that I have never seen Alpine Light guards, and many overlanders use modified Station Wagon vehicles because of the window ventilation, so would have Alpine Lights unless the roof is replaced. These are very easy to break into, giving access to sliding window latches. SO, even though you can't shove the side windows in like the back ones, fitting guards just to the back is pointless on SW models.

All fitted now, with relative ease and plenty of washing up liquid. At least its a visual deterent which wasn't there before, but if someone really wants to get in it won't stop them, I'm aware of that - the key lesson is not to leave anything valuable on display.

Thanks for all replies.