Replacement Landrover parts

It can be very confusing choosing a brand when ordering parts for my new (very old) 110. I have just found six different kits listed on one site for a timing belt kit. Any rule of thumb on how to choose? (Apart from more expensive surely means it has to be better)

There even seem to be 2 or more versions of the same part from the same manufacturer, normal, premium and OEM in plain box.

This can be tricky. Especially as different companies have different ideas for what "OEM" means....

From your description i would hazard a guess that "normal" will be a cheaper pattern part. "premium" will be a genuine LR part, and "OEM" in plain box will be a part manufactured by the same company that supplies LR but in their own packaging, ie not in a LR box. But as ive discovered in the past, this is not gospel.

If its an "important" part ie something that is a show-stopper if it breaks, then buy a genuine part from your local dealer. Then your 100% sure its the real deal.

Avoid Britpart like the noro virus...... Yes some of their parts are acceptable but i wouldnt risk it. Hope thats of some help :)

Thanks. Unfortunately what I have for a local dealer yesterday suggested €800 plus VAT, about £800, for a timing belt change on a 300. This seems a bit excessive and I hate to think how much original parts cost out here.

Most modern cars have the water pump on the cam belt so it makes sense to do it at the same time. These are not so it's not essential to do it at the same time. However, for piece of mind it might be worth it. Bolts should be OK, but they may be corroded. You will only know if they need replacing when you remove the pump.

Most companies that sell online here will post overseas no problem, so could order online. Also you not have to pay our VAT (I think)

Stick to either Gates or Dayco kits, and if it goes wrong, its probably your fault !

Rimmer Bros are a good choice of supplier, they tend to be a little more expensive than most, but they will NOT try to swindle you, like some of the independents.

Having worked in the parts industry, I can tell you that "OEM" or Original Equipment Manufacturer, does not mean what most people seem to think it does. It is rather ambiguous and is open to interpretation.

It means that the manufacturer (unspecified) of an item, make original equipment for someone, somewhere. It does NOT mean that they make that particular item for that particular manufacturer. It also does NOT mean that the item is the same specifcation as a genuine parts item, but in a different package.

However, provided that the manufacturer of the item is quality company, and the supplier is happy to tell you who the manufacturer is before you buy, then no problem.

Thank you all. Is it normal to replace the water pump when changing the timing belt and do I need to get new bolts for the water pump?

Thank

If we're talking a 300tdi then the water pump isn't driven directly by the cam belt so you wouldn't be touching it as part of this job, but it never hurts