Chequer plate gaskets

I use this stuff for all sorts of body banel sealing, comes in different sizes if you do some searching for similar items, I used it to put my wing and bonnet chequer plate on, just one tip, you need it to be thinner than you think. i.e 1.5mm will do you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Black-Single-Sided-Foam-Tape-10mm-Wide-x-1-5mm-Thick-/270700990096?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item3f07094e90#ht_339wt_1049

None setting butyl strip (10mm wide) from caravan/truck builder does the job, but you need warm weather. Failing that, the stuff you put under wood flooring is pretty good as its a closed cell foam- keep an eye out in the B&Q/Homebase/Wickes bargain bins.

• 2 weeks later...

Plates arrived at last, though not cut for the Ariel hole on os wing .

Do I cut hole in black powder coated plate, or relocate the Ariel on the roof?

I had the same dilemma, and decided to cut the black plate, just about got it right.

Ran a bit of silicone along the bottom, and round all the rivet holes. The Defenders at work all have the chequer plate sealed round the edges as well, and they're all fitted by an (allegedly) professional company. I didn't do it like that as I only had white silicone and it'd look carp...but I will tidy it up when I get hold of some black.