Bonnet spare wheel

Hi, Has anyone put a spare wheel holder on the bonnet of a 1996 300Tdi, I'm getting reports that it may crack the bonnet, I have put the strengthening braces in the frame and plan to put checker plate on the top, is there really that much difference between the series 3's bonnet as I had one of these and can't remember any issues?

I used to have my boost alloy on the bonnet of my 03 TD5 I had chequer plate on the bonnet and fitted a new style rear door carrier to the bonnet and used the spare wheel buffers to stop the wheel bouncing around.

It was on there for over 30k of very bumpy roads with no cracks or damage. It does make the bonnet heavy but the closer to the back the better. The second and bigger PITA is that it makes the washers unusable at any speed over 45mph!! This is the same for single or two washers the air pushes around the wheel.

I guess that you could go down the pipe on the wiper route but the air in the windscreen was just a mess.

Jason.

I converted my bonnet to carry a spare using the LR kit - the four buffers, the two black steel braces to reinforce the frame (as per the photo) and the securing ring and peg assembly.

I later added the MoD/Came Trophy type bonnet clasps, as used on MoD Series LRs before the 90 and 110, and on SIs before that, because the bowden cable for the bonnet release catch would gum up in dusty conditions. They weren't necessary for stabilising the bonnet, though - the buffers on the leading edge of the bonnet which sit against the slam panel did fine. Just remember to add the second pair - plain bonnets only have two buffers, but those with spare wheels should have four.

My CT110 with its bonnet mount is pretty FUBAR, I think its touching the top of the turbo heat shield bracket now, but I think thats mainly come from people jumping up and down on the bonnet, I think its just deformed as apposed to cracked anything...

Solid prop is a must, and be prepared to look under your bonnet an awefull lot less... ^_^