After Market Fuel Injection - 4.6 V8

garrycol

Other than Megasquirt has any used another aftermarket injection system on their Rover V8. Holly make a nice system as a replacement for Holly carbies but it is mainly for US engines but may fit on a modified Rover inlet manifold.

So anyone used this or another non Megasquirt system on their Rover V8.

Thanks

Garry

Other than Megasquirt has any used another aftermarket injection system on their Rover V8. Holly make a nice system as a replacement for Holly carbies but it is mainly for US engines but may fit on a modified Rover inlet manifold.

So anyone used this or another non Megasquirt system on their Rover V8.

Thanks

Garry

Firstly, remember the RV8 is an American engine (Buick). So maybe Holly will do a system for it. However as Fridge says, Megasquirt offers a wealth of local knowledge/experience should you run into problems. If something is as tried and tested as MS is, id advise sticking to it.. :)

Are you just looking for engine management, or a complete setup?

I've got Adaptronic (www.adaptronic.com.au) on my MX5 - it's similar in that it can run with a multitude of engines like MS, but arguably it's more advanced than MS, and it's also aussie so probably quite cheap for you...

DTA S60 is chosen by John eales on his high end engines....very very nice...have done some work on them and hugely complex and ferking spendy and j think designed to be user unfriendly as possible !

It's between ms3 - levels...ecu 800+vat

Uses ms bits a la coils trigger wheels vr sensor etc. ..

Thanks for the responses - I will google the suggested options and see where I end up.

Megasquirt is on the list but I would prefer a off the shelf product rather than a "hobby" kit that is hobbled together from bits and bobs and when you have questions you can never get a straight answer or ten different answers to the one question. Also i like the idea of having a local seller who I can go back to if there are issues.

Cheers

Garry

Megasquirt is on the list but I would prefer a off the shelf product rather than a "hobby" kit that is hobbled together from bits and bobs

An odd assessment - the ECU is on a par with any other commercially produced electronics, the only difference with the system is it's designed with a bit more of an eye to the home tinkerer, so it's a bit more adaptable. Any EMS is going to use various bits from other cars depending on your engine, for example if you want distributorless ignition on an engine that never had it you're going to have to mount a trigger wheel, sensor, and coil pack no matter what.

There are MS-plug-and-play units for various vehicles, a non-technical friend just fitted one to his turbo'd MX5 and it works very well, the Rover V8 is not as well supported in that respect but if you bought a kit from Nige it should wire in & start & run straight off the bat. The Megasquirt forums are, by their nature, not vehicle-specific so it's not always easy to get a straight answer, but Nige and LR4x4 seem to have that covered really!

One reason V8_Freak stated for ditching his Omex was that every time he tried to get support, the supplier/manufacturer asked him to write his query on the back of a cheque <_<

Megasquirt is on the list but I would prefer a off the shelf product rather than a "hobby" kit that is hobbled together from bits and bobs and when you have questions you can never get a straight answer or ten different answers to the one question. Also i like the idea of having a local seller who I can go back to if there are issues.

Its a little...........bold to say that. Id hardly say that the MS kits are "hobbled together". Theres been a little more thought put into it than that.

Ive always gotten a straight answer to my MS-related queries - either from Nige or peeps on here that have done it before me. Ive not quite finished mine yet, but thats not because of lack of support on here but more my lack of time/funds.

Also, not only will Nige post worldwide but a wealth of support is either a phonecall or click of the mouse away. Like Fridge said, unlike other companies, Nige wont charge you for advice if you buy one of his kits.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Nige. Havent even met him, but cant sing the guys praises highly enough when it comes to helping out...

:pir7: right then !!!!!

Seriously Gary I do understand what you are thinking / saying...

Heres some things to think about

Pro / Cons "Another Commercial System"

Almost certainly More expensive

"Help" will be Dealer based

Most are designed to earn dealers money everytime you go near them - so unuser friendly

EVERYTHING you do / ask / chage will cost money

May need to be installed by Dealer

YOU will have little knowledge / understanding / ability to "Fix" if there is an issue

Spares from dealer for most things

Programming will need to be done / rolling road etc = more money

Although a professional system its a one size fits all

You will need to source lots of bits to do an install, often its "Heres the ECU" Bye ......

Pro / Cons MS

You have to do the fitting - but this way you KNOW your install

NON commercial - its DIY

It does require multiple "Bits" but I do V8 stuff for all the bits, many of these "Bits" you will need for the system above

Programming of ECU is done for you - will run engine quite sweet staright out the box

Standard car parts used - many are ford, so internationally available off the shelf.

Tunable further by yourself with free software

Full diagnostics for free

ECU globally available,

http://www.megasquirt.co.uk/buying.php

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mintro.htm#group

One hell of a lot cheaper - but YOU have to do much of the fitting

Loads of help and support here, but the system is ferkin relaible !

Hope that helps and comes over as a balanced Pro / cons ?

Nige :ph34r:

One other point about MS - it's not utterly dependent on one supplier, as I understand it, so if a supplier goes bust you aren't totally stuck for parts.

That's an attractive thing.

G.

One reason V8_Freak stated for ditching his Omex was that every time he tried to get support, the supplier/manufacturer asked him to write his query on the back of a cheque <_<

So to be fair, there isn't any actual problem with the Omex product. Omex isn't there to offer a free support to DIYers, they supply to engine builders so bogging down their tech staff for hours on the phone offering free training doesn't fit their chosen business model. They will do a days training but that costs.

To the OP, We've fitted and run dozens of Omex 600s on 4 cylinder race engines and had very few problems. You'd be using the 700 series ECUs for 8 cylinders.

If you are in Aus, why not use the home grown Motec system or is that just too too spendy?

Zoltan - I'm not knocking Omex, they are a business not a charity and as you say supporting DIYers is more trouble than it's worth (which is why I stopped selling Megasquirts!).

For a basic lump like the RV8 I've never seen any commercial system that offers any significant benefit over a basic MS1 ECU, either in terms of features or price.

One other point about MS - it's not utterly dependent on one supplier, as I understand it, so if a supplier goes bust you aren't totally stuck for parts.

Not only that, all the circuit diagrams, specs & source code are online & all the components are commercially available off-the-shelf.