On the lookout for Wooded Greenlanes, any ideas?

English

Hiya everyone,

I am the President of Peterborough LandRover Club, based, as the name says, here in Peterborough, in Cambridgeshire. We are always on the lookout for new and interesting things to do as a club. Recently I have read a story in Landrover Monthly by David Lovejoy, titled 'Get your kicks on root 66' which covered wooded greenlanes.

I have a question .... where are the wooded greenlanes? The story shows one abroad but I am stuck finding any here in the UK, especially near Peterborough. Have any members got any ideas on the location of any wooded greenlanes? I could really do with a list of as many as possible to keep us busy, if such a list exists.

We have had a few off road and greenlane days but now want something kind of in the middle, harcore greenlaning so to speak.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help and you're more than welcome to join us!

All the best,

Kev English

Peterborough LandRover Club

('92 Defender 110 (CSW with 12 seats)

post-22823-0-57459900-1393690814_thumb.jpg

As I wrote the piece - well the original piece, before it got altered - I can tell you it was based on all sorts of places, mostly not Greenlanes but woodland. If you want drive 'in the trees', then East Devon is most likely your best bet. I'm the GLASS Rep for that area and whilst the word "hardcore" makes me cringe as much as Chris, East Devon has some of the most technical and damaging lanes in the country. Luckily the lanes do the damage to the vehicles and not visa versa. They need driving as we are losing them and as GLASS has so few members down in the South West and the local council are on the verge of bankruptcy, driving said routes does hold back the encroaching woodland...

I can supply you with a route suggestions but you will need vehicles without a lift, with standard tyres and no roof racks

The other option is to pick a P&P site with trees

Option three is to get in touch with Jim at Lanes, Tracks and Trails to use some of the private woodland he has access to

On that subject, I am specifically keen to keep my disco roof at the same height as a stock defender for lane clearance

This means 3" lift and 33" tyres for me, but I can sneak down lanes where many more aggressive looking discos fail.

If you are from Peterborough I presume you have tried Yarwell and Tixover P&P sites? Both of them have some densely wooded sections, as does Sibbertoft and being P&P sites, you can go as hardcore as you like.

If you want to go further afield, we did a fantastic day in Bala, Wales a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the company that organised it but they have legal access to huge amounts of Forestry Commission land, we drove for over 8 hours and never used the same track twice. They were able to cater for everything from brand new vehicles through to challenge trucks, depending on the vehicles on your group.

Have you thought about Brick kiln farm in Alton-hampshire? as this site is full of trees and the older farmer type chap who owns it is a really nice bloke to deal with and easy to get on with, From what I can remember you can actually camp there too

hth

John

Have you thought about Brick kiln farm in Alton-hampshire? as this site is full of trees and the older farmer type chap who owns it is a really nice bloke to deal with and easy to get on with, From what I can remember you can actually camp there too

hth

John

Shut for the foreseeable future or even forever.......can't remember which :unsure:

Cheers Ross, I haven't used Brick kiln for about 10 years and it was always a great place to go and play without giving the spoilsports the chance at having another pop at us for doing something we enjoyed.

John