Can't get getbox/transfer box pulled back to replace clutch

I'm stuck midway through my clutch change. I'm using the steps I see here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4380

I have everything disconnected: transmission mounts, all nuts off the bell housing, prop-shafts disconnected, etc., and the transmission held up by a crane with lifting straps.

The transmission won't budge back even slightly.

What's the trick to getting the transmission to slide backwards? Will I be forced to remove all the studs that attach the bellhousing?

Thanks,

-Evan-

IIRC it's in the manual to but a bead of sealant on the joint on assembly...I never do, an it certainly wouldn't help with the splitting. It is just a case of keeping jumping on it, prying it, shaking it, swearing at it, jumping on it some more...

Just checking the obvious...

Starter motor removed?

You could try jacking up the transfer box a little when you are confident every bolt / nut is removed from the bellhousing /engine interface...

Might be enough to "crack" the two apart...

As said above though, if someone has added sealant into the mix it may take some persuasion and my require some delicate leverage.

Neil

No need to remove the starter on that engine, just the nuts on the gearbox side of the bellhousing, props, mounts, earth strap if fitted to the gearbox, handbrake link.

The bellhousing is pretty strong, so you could try knocking a couple of broad flat old screwdrivers into the flange on either side to see if you can crack the joint - do it near a web in the casting to be safe.

I've used a 3 foot prybar with some anger and a lump hammer on the joint in the past with no ill effect.

Last one I had that refused to come apart was because the clutch centre had become stuck fast on the input shaft due to age and a touch of rust and no amount of pulling would get them apart - never heard of that happening before though so hopefully very rare - only way to separate them in that case was to drill a hole in the bellhousing so I could undo the clutch cover nuts and pull the engine away.

IIRC it's in the manual to but a bead of sealant on the joint on assembly...I never do, an it certainly wouldn't help with the splitting. It is just a case of keeping jumping on it, prying it, shaking it, swearing at it, jumping on it some more...

Mine was like that, really glued together. I was removing engine, took lots of waggling, prising and cursing before it came free.

Just done mine recently (engine out instead though), had to hammer a sharpened flathead screwdriver into the joint at the bottom. Depending on whether you have jacked the transmission up at the front or back will determine if it's going to split from top to bottom or vice versa.

Thanks for all the pointers. I'll check one more time to make absolutely certain I have not missed a nut. I ran out of workday mid-way through removing all the studs attaching the bell-housing so I can try pushing sideways or pulling up with the crane to break the seal. I'll try again this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

The sharpened screwdriver was just the thing to get this separated. Next problem.... I feel like I'm never going to be done with this clutch.

I can't get the transmission on now. After much frustration, I got two studs on top of the bell housing to line up, and nuts on both of them, but the transmission won't move forwards to be flush with the flywheel cover. I can't get a stud on the underside of the bellhousing as the gap is just to wide. It's as if something is blocking.

I've tried prying with boards, using various jacks on the transmission, jacking up the engine slightly, etc.

The transmission is not hung up on the exhaust. I didn't leave my deep socket in place after I used it to align the clutch plate.

Could I have screwed up the alignment so badly that the drive shaft is what is hanging up?

-Evan-

If it's totally in line it will just slip in...

It's likely to be just slightly out of line or the splines are not aligned to clutch plate...

Remember, the spigot bearing is a constant contact point for the input shaft, so 1mm or so will be touching the outer rim and not slide in...

Be patient... Jiggling & wiggling is likely to cause damage.

Gap between all faces of the bell housing must be the same, vertical & horizontal must be right to get input shaft into the spigot bearing..

Neil

Have you got the clutch plate lined up properly? or have you reused the spigot bearing as sometimes that can get a little bit deformed and will cause a similar problem to what you describe as i've had it on my 90 and a 110 before

John