Just fitted Ashcroft ATB centre diff!

Mr Noisy

A kaiser one - bought it on here ready built up and it's my first foray into locking diffs of any description (just worked on trying to balance the suspension up until now).

Only done 10 miles on it so far though. Feels tighter (?) than my old one, which seems to make the rest of the drive train clunk a little quicker ...

All a learning curve for me.

A kaiser one - bought it on here ready built up and it's my first foray into locking diffs of any description (just worked on trying to balance the suspension up until now).

Only done 10 miles on it so far though. Feels tighter (?) than my old one, which seems to make the rest of the drive train clunk a little quicker ...

All a learning curve for me.

Any locking type is better than open.

Yes they tend to make themselves known to some description so just see how you get on :)

Test it out on some muddy twisty stuff and see what happens :)

nice ATB ;)

i have one in my rear axle, yet to test it off road (In fact yet to STILL get some front shafts made up so i have 4 wheel drive again)

but i can tell you in a selectable 4wd vehicle, you can drift like ken block... :ph34r:!

even the mrs can drift it smoothly on grass.

looking forward to hear your thoughts on it in the real world.

nice ATB ;)

i have one in my rear axle, yet to test it off road (In fact yet to STILL get some front shafts made up so i have 4 wheel drive again)

but i can tell you in a selectable 4wd vehicle, you can drift like ken block... :ph34r:!

even the mrs can drift it smoothly on grass.

looking forward to hear your thoughts on it in the real world.

Hi mate,

I have a pal who has/had a series and it was good fun in rwd :P

Yeah I look forward to testing it myself, but it will be a while yet as it still need a mountain of cash for another Ashlocker, some rear shafts and MAYBE some CVs seeing as I'm at it I might aswell finish the job.

Could really do with some discount, nudge nudge wink wink Dave :P

Or to look at it the other way around, KAM is a 4 pin external locker that takes limited-slip plates. It's a fair amount of work to fit it, and you can weld the flange onto the axel wrong! I think you can adjust the plates? Which might be handy? But given a re-run of my purchases, I would go Ashcroft locker.

I have a Detroit "TRULOCK" in my front (helically geared type) axle and a conventional Detroit LOCKER in the Rear, both axles having beefed up Ashcrosft drive shafts. I seldom have to lock the centre differential and you wouldnt know the two axles were limited slip differentials, I can only tell when the rears squeal if I go around a small round-about.

As the front is helically geared it works exacly as a conventional differential excepting both wheels will always drive, even if more power is going to one of the front wheels which gives excelent drive and allows for going around sharp corners.

^^^^ yeah the Detroit rear/Truetrac front is a common fitment

The main benefit being fit and forget and automatic action

The main gripe with Detroit is it is an Unlocker technically, so is always locked, which could in the worst case scenario provide undesirable rear axle characteristics, ie muddy side slope it will promote more wheel slip and hence sideways axle slip, the benefit of being unlocked is you are allowing the wheels to seek out maximum traction and not promoting them to break it, like any locked diff does.

Helical type/Torsen diffs really are the best all rounder, and from then each diff type can be accurately placed along a scale, trading between not forcing wheels to break traction at the open diff end and not allowing wheels to give away/waste any available drive at the welded/locked/spool diff end...

• Like 1

Agreed, I drive an Audi with a TORSEN centre diff, and love it.... front starts to break away... keep your clog in and you literally feel the torque move to the rear of the car, the front end bites, and pulls you round the corner.

Have to take some brave pills before you do it sometimes, but the feeling after is very cool :)

I have a Detroit "TRULOCK" in my front (helically geared type) axle and a conventional Detroit LOCKER in the Rear, both axles having beefed up Ashcrosft drive shafts. I seldom have to lock the centre differential and you wouldnt know the two axles were limited slip differentials, I can only tell when the rears squeal if I go around a small round-about.

As the front is helically geared it works exacly as a conventional differential excepting both wheels will always drive, even if more power is going to one of the front wheels which gives excelent drive and allows for going around sharp corners.

I much prefer full lockers ( ARB or ASH ) where the driver is in control and not the transmission, have you ever driven a 4x4 with a Detroit in the rear across wet grass, oh that would be under steer, and more under steer :(. Open diffs with the ability to lock as required work!

Detroit Unlocker is fundamentally different to an ATB of course.

And any type of locking diff will never have the infinite adjustability and versatility of an ATB, although an air locker which functions at both extremes also works well for most people :)

the standard axle ATB in the rear is pretty much invisible in normal use, i.e. on wet grass, no understeer at all, feels like a normal truck, however if you boot it you get a much more progressive and controllable oversteer than that of what you get with an open diff