Putting a 200 tdi and box into a 110

HI could anyone please tell me if i would have to change the props on a 110 if i was to put a discovery 200 tdi gear box into it ? i have put the engine in but it sits away from the rad so my thoughts are to put new engine mounts further forward and fit the disco box .

Hopefully after fitting the 200tdi engine mount it stop the vibrations to lol

If you use the existing gearbox mounts then no, you don't as it's the position of the gearbox that dictates the length of the props. If you use the Discovery gearbox mount from a 300Tdi (as I did) it will move the gearbox about 2" forward and you will need a Defender 300Tdi rear prop and the Discovery front prop. You will also have to modify the seatbox, or get another seatbox, tunnel and bulkhead diaphragm. I think the Discovery 200Tdi gearbox mount will do the same but I am not 100% sure.

HI could anyone please tell me if i would have to change the props on a 110 if i was to put a discovery 200 tdi gear box into it ? i have put the engine in but it sits away from the rad so my thoughts are to put new engine mounts further forward and fit the disco box .

Hopefully after fitting the 200tdi engine mount it stop the vibrations to lol

You could always go down the route of fitting a mondeo electric fan like I did and leaving the engine and box in situ where it already is and save yourself a RPITA

John

Mmmm......

Blue touch paper alight....

The viscous fan and cowling are there to provide adequate cooling.... They work hard when needed and can provide much more cooling that electric fans.....

Nuff said...

Neil

I have the engine close to the radiator and the viscous fan does all the cooling. I haven't fitted the cowling yet, it's a job on the 'to do' list. But these engines don't get that hot and I find that if the radiator and water pump are good then you don't really need much more. I used to run my 200Tdi 90 without a fan and it was fine.

When I did the engine conversion in the 110 I wanted to fit an electric fan originally but I decided that as there is a perfectly good fan already there, why mess about with electrics, setting temperatures and all that.

We were quite capable of creating steam under normal conditions this weekend with a 200.....

If there is steam, there is definitely heat....

Micro-puncture in the heater matrix misted up the whole cab within minutes. And that's with a viscous fan and cowling......

Mmmm......

Blue touch paper alight....

The viscous fan and cowling are there to provide adequate cooling.... They work hard when needed and can provide much more cooling that electric fans.....

Nuff said...

Neil

Neil, I'm assuming that by the original poster already fitting a 200 tdi and having the disco gearbox that he's used the disco 200 configured lump instead of a defender one-hence why i said about the electric fan and not buggering about with the engine mounts,

I could be wrong about the assumption of course lol

John

reminds me, must get round to getting a new fan for Brian, hes been running without one ever since the crash, oil cooler less too which IMO is probably worse when towing heavily good job i have a temp gauge for that. but still.

P.s. if i could fit a viscous fan i would but had to cut the threaded portion off my water pump just to keep the slam panel fairly in tact haha

I agree John but if he can use the viscous and cowling it will be far better for the engine than the electric fan solution.

We've had very regular discussion on here and other boards with many accounts of vehicles running without fans etc., but there are also accounts of overheating & damage... It all depends on what you read and when...

The Op clearly has the space now but is considering moving the engine forward. I'm just trying to make sure that the advice offered is balanced and that fitting an electric fan might not be the best solution for the engine, even if it helps to fit a gearbox they have at their disposal.

Neil

I agree John but if he can use the viscous and cowling it will be far better for the engine than the electric fan solution.

We've had very regular discussion on here and other boards with many accounts of vehicles running without fans etc., but there are also accounts of overheating & damage... It all depends on what you read and when...

The Op clearly has the space now but is considering moving the engine forward. I'm just trying to make sure that the advice offered is balanced and that fitting an electric fan might not be the best solution for the engine, even if it helps to fit a gearbox they have at their disposal.

Neil

Wheres the like button when you could do with it ? lol

John

Assuming you are fitting the lt77 from a 200 tdi disco then if you use your existing short bellhousing gearbox mounts then your engine will be further forward as you say, this will allow you to use all the standard disco pipework, viscous fan and cowl and exhaust downpipe. The only issue will be the gearsticks however ascroft do an adapter so that you can put your short bellhousing gearbox top and gearstick onto the disco box so all the interior matches up well. You can strip the box and swap the selector shaft but the Ashcroft mod is easier.

Will.

.... however ascroft do an adapter so that you can put your short bellhousing gearbox top and gearstick onto the disco box so all the interior matches up well.

Really? Do you have a link? Everytime this comes up ashcroft have said you need to open the box to make the changes.

My mistake, thanks for pointing that out, I have only ever swapped the entire shaft not bought that so stupidly presumed it fitted both. If you have a nice work area and take your time swapping, the shaft is really not that bad a job.

I suppose the other thing to note is that the disco box should have the bigger bearings in it to cope better with the immense power of the tdi.

Will.