progress. ....really ?

The clutches aren't that big a deal - when I worked at Gaydon and we were doing clutch development work on D3 we were getting the clutches out that quick they were too hot to touch

D3 is nearly ten years old and yet I don't see hundreds of them on eBay for pence because the clutches are slipping

That's mint!!! :i-m_so_happy: wish I could get a defender clutch out that quick!

That's mint!!! :i-m_so_happy: wish I could get a defender clutch out that quick!

I did a clutch change on my Stage One between breakfast and lunch (not a late lunch!), by myself, with a simple toolkit and a tractor and bucket (to lift the engine up enough). Pop the radiator out, undo the manifolds at the head and lift the engine. Very easy. It was similar on my old Series III diesel. Can't see a Defender would be worse?

To wade into the discussion proper:

I'd love to waft along in a modern Land Rover or enjoy the economy of a modern turbo-diesel but no way I want to commit the money for maintenance, nor depreciation. There was a sweet spot with carburetted Range Rovers, early 110s and Discoveries, including the first TDis, where you had the pleasant driving experience and simple maintenance. Since then there has been a bit of swearing and muttering in our sheds and much money thrown out the window! I would love a Disco 3, now that the prices are getting near-reachable for me, but I think the real cost of ownership would be far from reachable. At least, with my Stage One V8, I can complain endlessly about the cost of petrol but any repairs are doable with very cheap parts.

I believe modern technology could give us the best of both worlds (very efficient and reliable vehicles that are simple to maintain) but the obsessions with safety (via add-ons, not just good dynamics/strength), relative performance, gadgets and so on mean it's not happening and definitely not with Land Rovers, which are threatening to become the most gadget-ridden vehicles on the roads, if the Discovery concept claims are all true.

Sigh.