Cheap wireless winch remote - very impressed

Another option is RF Solutions http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/Remote_Control_Systems.html based in Lewes, Sussex. Some of their remotes are cheaper than a Lodar, even if more expensive than the Chinese ones.

I've used their systems on lots of things (admittedly not on a winch yet) and found them bomb proof!

Si

I note the low voltage systems Si has linked to state 12-32Vdc. I would interpret that as 12V MINIMUM, hence the likelihood of low volt drop out.

What do the experienced ones of us think that the battery system drops to when winching hard? I am guessing it is quite probably below 10V.

My voltmeters give red warning at 10.5 and flash red at below 10 i think

I often get red after a long pull etc but don't see it flashing

All of the above was on a tired battery though, and haven't had chance to get my new ones dirty even after 6 months :(

I used the RF Solutions 'Hornet' 3 channel units on both my trucks, for winch control.

I've not had any problems with jamming or dropout under low voltage.

The third channel is used to 'enable' the other two, for pocket safety.

The 'keyfob' remotes are bit fiddly, but fine for me as I only winch out of necessity. They do offer bigger remotes, and it would be easy to transplant into an old hand controller body in any case.

So far so good with the Ebay cheapy - range is >2x the 150ft rope I have, no errors to date though I've not used it in anger.

Combining the two ideas above, I wonder if the 'crashing' issue seen by some people could be a low voltage thing (in which case I should be ok because my winch is hydraulic, but could be relevant to the sparky winch boys).

I note the low voltage systems Si has linked to state 12-32Vdc. I would interpret that as 12V MINIMUM, hence the likelihood of low volt drop out.

What do the experienced ones of us think that the battery system drops to when winching hard? I am guessing it is quite probably below 10V.

The RF solutions boxes I've used work OK well below 12v. They buffer the voltage internally so even if the supply voltage drops too low for it to work, it will carry on for a short time. I've not had any issues using them on winches.

Si

• 6 months later...

I don't suppose there is a label stating frequency on yours is there?

i'll take a look tomorrow...

christ i forgot all about this.... well its a bit more than one day later but no, there is no frequency written on my remote(s)

sorry for the delay... that's gotta be a record. :blush: