300 Startup Noise

So yesterday when I started my defender (300tdi) there was a horrible noise from under the bonnet, not sure how to describe it. A kind of horrible squeal not high pitched though. Yesterday a little bit of of the gas pedal cleared the noise after about 30 seconds, drove it 5 miles parked up for 6 hours came back and it started fine no noise.

This afternoon started it and the noise was back so I thought I will get a video so I could post it up on here and see if anyone could help, before I managed to get the bonnet open and the camera rolling the noise had gone without any help from the gas pedal.

It sounds a bit like its coming from the the fan belt. Not sure what on it though could be causing the noise. The tensioner has some play nut not much and does make a quiet squeak when running, I would say the squeak gets quieter as the engine warms up.

There car drives the same as always no changes in power from the engine, really not sure where to start, worried its something serious and not just a bad bearing somewhere. Everything else that runs from the fan belt doesn't have any play.

One thing I did notice was that the cooling fluid was brown :(. This surprised me as the engine was moved from a discovery to the defender in the last 2 years (now I think about it not sure when it was moved as it wasn't me who transplanted it. I'm going to obviously replace the coolant this week, but could it be the water pump and how do I check? If I have the system drained and I can check to see if its the water pump that would be great!

I will try and be more prepared next time I start the car cold (tomorrow morning) and try and get a video, its seems to be clearing each time I start it but would rather find out where it came from in-case its done damage at some point. It did seem to happen the morning after along of driving around 150 miles of motorway and city driving? Not sure if that could have something to-do with it?

S

Bearing in one of the pulleys/tensioner a perhaps? Or a slipping belt? Sometimes on cold starts the alternator will charge really hard to regain the power lost from the start and will "chatter". Although that's not really the same sound you describe.

My money's on a dying pulley bearing.

HTH

Josh

A quick slightly unrelated question, what kind of coolant should I use? Its a 300tdi from a discovery not to sure on the date it was manufactured, possibly 99? Anyone got any ideas what coolant? Since mine is nice and brown also whats the best way to bleed the system?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Sorry to go back to this but my problem is back! I changed the belt and the tensioner (dayco parts) and I'm not saying the noise went away since it didn't always happen but recently it's come back and more frequent than before. It clears after a minute or 2, wouldn't say I'm doing cold starts probably warmer than before. And I've not been running electrics with the engine off.

It's a kind of clunky rattle squek if that helps at all!! I'm going to try and get a video of the noise at some point. But not sure where to go next guessing it's a bearing somewhere but not sure where. Is there anyway to work it out or do I just start replacing things. One thing I've noticed is my coolant is a nice brown rusty colour (it's getting changed on Tuesday!) could it be the water pump and is there a way to check without taking it off?

S

No it's not that not wanting to be telling everyone but I had ignition problems and it's bypassed kind of. It really sounds like it's coming from the drive belt and disappears when I accerate a little and then comes back when it goes back to idle but then after a couple of minutes it idles normally.

S

The fan idler shaft bearings also fail, but are special and come already fitted to the timing cover. remove the belt and check for play and squeaks. The water pumps are also squeak prone when the coolant is cold.

So here's what I've found with the belt off.

The tensioner makes no noise and runs smooth.

The fan pulley makes a kind of grinding noise and looking from the side doesn't run straight.

The power steering pump won't turn freely but seems okay.

The water pump sounds a bit grindy

The alternator is grindy and squeaky.

So looks like it all needs changed?

Ouch!

Have you tried trying to isolate the sound by using an ear against the handle of a (very) long handled screwdriver pressed against the area of the bearings?

Usual warnings apply:

Wear a hair net.

No loose clothing.

Objects in mirror may appear further away than they actually are etc.

Might help you narrow down the location.

Check the crank pulley for play as well, although these tend to give more of a knocking sound than what you have.

Might try having a listen tomorrow, but I might as well start changing the parts. Cheapest first so it's the water pump and I'm changing the coolant anyway so might as well do it all at the same time! My question is should I do the p gasket? I don't know if it has ever been done so I'm guessing the answer is yes?

So today I changed the water pump, p gasket done an oil change, coolant change, air, fuel and oil filter change. Start it up and the noise is still there. Going on the pitch of the noise and the noise the pulleys make when knocked its closet to the fan pulley and from what I have read that's a whole new front cover. Which I'm sad about especially as I found a tyre with a bulging side today as well!

So my question is where can I find a new timing belt cover? I've seen them on eBay for £195 but that's the only place I can easily see them, another thing that makes me think its this is that the pulley doesn't run straight. Almost like its sitting on a slight angle. I need it changed ASAP as it now seems to be fraying the edge of this belt and the last thing I need is losing a belt on the motorway and its going on a 300 mile journey in a few weeks so I'm wanting it sorted by then.

Any suggestions where to look would be great or if anyone has one around lying around randomly around central Scotland that would also be great! The sooner its fixed the happier my face!

Cheers

S

Oh!!

Since removing the A from the end of the part number ERR7146A I now have found some!! What would peoples thoughts be on a Britpart one? £104.99 excl. VAT or Land Rover £173.33 excl. VAT thats from Island4x4 there is also an Allmakes version as well

So the noise hasn’t gone and just seems to be getting worse every day. I’m getting it on every "cold start" and it takes longer to clear now. I’m planning on taking it away on holiday in the start of July so would want whatever it is sorted since it’s not the most comforting noise to hear every time I start my car especially when I'm away up north for a week!

Any advice what to try :(, I have ordered a stethoscope so should hopefully be able to pinpoint it! If it is the timing cover that needs changed who do you recommend I buy from? I’m guessing stay clear of britpart but what about Allmake or should I just get a LR part?

S

If you take the fan belt off all together and start the engine, this will identify if it is actually any of the ancillary drives. if the noise is still there then I would be thinking along the lines of the idler/tensioner pulleys for the timing belt bearings are going and are screeching... a sure indicator they need changing....

If the noise goes away then you're left with it being either the PAS pump is on its way out, the alternator or the fan idler bearing.... simples.

Alternator you can usually spray some tactical WD40 into it, should quieted any bearings in for a while if its those, not much you can do to test the PAS pump bearings and same with the fan idler. - suffice to say all bearings should have a smooth and free running feel to them. PAS pump will feel nothy as its hooked into the PAS system so you can only really feel if this is faulty by unhooking it from the hoses, drain it and have a feel.

I'm just about to change a PAS pump on one of my 200's as its making a clicking screeching noise... or I hope its the PAS pump!