Delta-Tek Mainshaft

Hi,

I thought I'd do a how to regards fitting one of the Dela-Tek mainshafts as I now have one and it's apparently quite easy to fit. So I'll get my winch stripped down and take some pictures as I rebuild it over the weekend.

I will also make some new securing nuts as I have a mixture of imperial and metric nuts and square nuts!

And also think about fitting a breather and oil drain.

Steve

I fitted my delta-tek mainshaft a couple of weeks ago (after the indoor show)

Fantastic, I have used the winch with anger, and so far so good.

The lynchpin in the end to hold the brake mechanism on is a simple, easy solution. It makes removal of the brake mech much easier, so I find myself removing and washing it out more often.

I have the gigglepin billet brake discs and the gigglepin uprated brake shoes which all fit perfectly on the Delta-Tek shaft.

As Steve says we have only just launched this as a production product and the web site is very out of date. :unsure:

The shaft is intended to be a direct replacement for the original, fitting without any modification, no screws or holes to drill.

It has had the known failures engineered out, the retaining groove (where they snap) has been removed, the cam is an integral part of the shaft rather than a seperate part (which can split).

The circlip has been replaced by a positive pin which can't ping off. Made from the finest heat treated EN36 steel for ultimate durability.

At the moment available from us directly but rolling out to dealers around the world.

Contact me, nick@delta-tek.co.uk, forum members get 10% discount, but you will have to tell me you are a member!

Priced at £190+VAT (£238 inc.) retail.

I will post some pictures tonight, when I get to the computer that they are on. :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

Wow. I don't have a winch, don't know how it fits but clearly that is a lovely piece of metal.

It is indeed a lovely piece of metal, it seems a shame to fit it as you wont see most of it, but it wont pull me out of the mud sitting on the shelve!

I'll hopefully get my winch stripped down at the weekend, so you can at least see how the old main shaft fitted!

Steve

Right,

So at the weekend I finally got around to removing my winch and tonight I've stripped it and taken some pictures. I used my phone so the picture quality is slightly lower than normal :(

So it already has the Delta-Tek freespool and fairlead, which are both great products, so much easier to pull the rope off the drum and nice big radius' for the rope to run on!

post-7712-0-80750600-1399926653_thumb.jpg

Winch removed! The end plate slides off the drum whether you have a standard or freespool drum. I then removed the three cap screws and retrieved the loose nuts and removed the top housing with the winch motor in it and put it to one side.

post-7712-0-39776900-1399926689_thumb.jpg

I looked inside to see a nice milky colour, oh dear, looks like water has been getting in! But at least it doesn't smell of EP90 as I've used ATF! So now you want to leave the brake on for the time being as we need to remove the mainshaft (the bit we're replacing!). It will need a gentle tap on the brake assembly to push the bronse bush out and the gear that on the shaft will need adusting so that you don't get it jammed on the main shaft as it comes out.

post-7712-0-96487900-1399926893_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-60087000-1399927166_thumb.jpg

You can see here that its starting to come out. One thing you need to watch is the locking plate that holds the drum in. This also sits in a groove on the mainshaft so will need holding up as its removed.

post-7712-0-44230200-1399927595_thumb.jpg

Once it's out the brake assembly can now be dismantled. The Delta-Tek kit comes with a brake assembly tool so this can be used to stop all the ball bearings from falling all over the floor!

post-7712-0-61257000-1399927805_thumb.jpg

Now the oil seal and bronze bush can be removed along with the gears on the mainshaft.

post-7712-0-94325400-1399927879_thumb.jpg

With the old and new shafts lined up you can see the differences between the two. The fitrst difference is ones shinier than the other! The small cam profile that slots onto the splines on the standard shaft is now integrated into the Delta-Tek shaft and machined from one piece!

post-7712-0-77631100-1399927997_thumb.jpg

Also the groove that the locking plate sits in has been deleted to improve the strength of the shaft and a new locking plate is supplied with the kit.

• Like 1

Continued!

Also the groove that the locking plate sits in has been deleted to improve the strength of the shaft and a new locking plate is supplied with the kit.

post-7712-0-33215900-1399928682_thumb.jpg

Now the locking plate can be removed along with the drum which just slides out of the lower housing. the large gear left inside can them be removed and the oil drained. The only thing left to remove is the clicky brake ratchet mechanism that gives the 8274 it's distict sound!

And that's pretty much the whole winch stripped down. I've left the top housing together as it looks ok.

If any of the bearings and seals need replacing then Delta-Tek keep them in stock.

The next step is to clean all these bits up and prepare for reassembly, maybe next weekend!

Steve

• Like 1

Right, so this weekend saw all the winch bits cleaned.

post-7712-0-21172700-1400447006_thumb.jpg

The drum is held in place by a locking plate inside the winch, now the new Delta-Tek mainshaft comes with a new locking plate as it doesn't have the groove in the end of the shaft. You can see that the 'key hole' slot is larger to account for this.

post-7712-0-29842300-1400447049_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-58666900-1400447059_thumb.jpg

So the locking plate sits in a groove on the end of the drum.

post-7712-0-46827100-1400447083_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-08970900-1400447098_thumb.jpg

At the top the mainshaft is still located in position, but by a different method.

post-7712-0-51488100-1400447115_thumb.jpg

And this is how it sits inside the drum, but obviously it's not built yet!

post-7712-0-13211400-1400447368_thumb.jpg

Lets get building!

First I put the biggest gear in the bottom of the lower housing making sure I had the flat side facing the drum and the raised central side facing the brake. Then I slide the drum into the lower housing lifting the gear up and aligned the two together. To make sure the drum is pushed in fully you can slide in the locking plate, by moving the gear to the left sightly slotting it in. It should be flush with the top of the lower housing. We can leave this in ready for the next step!

post-7712-0-66649100-1400447480_thumb.jpg

Now we can fit the cam gear (off the standard mainshaft) to the Delta-Tek mainshaft with the aid of a bit of grease. You'll notice that the bronze bush needs to be pushed in afterwards and wont fit over the cam gear!

post-7712-0-21414700-1400447382_thumb.jpg

So now we're ready to fit the Delta-Tek mainshaft, this will involve pressing a bush in, so make sure you've fitted the lower large gear correctly!

So, holding the upper gear with the flat side facing the drum and the raised central side facing the brake I slid the Delta-Tek mainshaft in and loacted the teeth. The end of the shaft can slide into the needle roller bearing cup already in the lower housing and may just need the locking plate lift up slightly.

post-7712-0-44423100-1400447659_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-05664300-1400449142_thumb.jpg

Now the bronze bush can be fitted. This will need to be tapped home, so a piece of tube would be ideal. I used a punch and carefully tapped it in until it was about 6mm in thus leaving enough room for the seal which should then just sit below the chamfer.

post-7712-0-75144600-1400449358_thumb.jpg

post-7712-0-50460000-1400449374_thumb.jpg

Right, so with the hard bit done, we'll leave it there for today.

Steve