Cutting 25mm HDPE

Mo Murphy

What would I use to cut 25mm HDPE. I'm making a spacer ring to go between the wing intake and my raised air intake to get it round the cage. I don't have a band saw so what's best to cut it with ? Wood saw or metal saw blades ?

Anyone got any experience of cutting this material ?

Mo

Hi Mo,

I made my wings from HDPE, albeit it was only 3mm, but I could happily attack it with a jigsaw and a centre punch without fear of ir cracking. So a jigswa could do it, but it may give a wavy cut.

Will you see the cut edge? Is it a curved profile? You could try a tenan saw if it was a straight cut.

Steve

Sorry Scotts90, it's sheet, I didn't make that clear :)

Ross, it's going to space out my mantec snorkel from the nearside wing air intake. I have the material now so I'll give it a go, if it all goes horribly wrong I'll ring you ;)

Mo

I've never tried it, but a wood router is supposed to cut it OK.

Yes it does I forgot about that method in fact if you rough it out with a jigsaw, make a template out of mdf or similar then use a cutter with a guide bearing you'll get a perfect job. I've got to do the exact same thing to fit a mantec snorkel to the ibex.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...