Ticking sound from gearbox r380

When driving in gear there is a ticking sound coming from the gearbox area, revving the engine in neutral sound goes away. Also seems to go when hold clutch in ? Sounds like something attached to prop shaft that catches as its turning but cannot see anything ?

Any ideas ?

These things can be a pain - could be a stone or something got into the handbrake-drum, or possibly a split weld/leaky gasket on the exhaust that opens/closes slightly as revs and load move the engine on its mountings?

Try - with the vehicle stationary - putting the transfer-box in neutral, then selecting each gear in turn with the engine running, and then letting up the clutch.

A long time ago in Series-days I had a regular 'tick-tick-tick' noise related to engine-RPM, but only in certain gears - it turned out to be a chipped tooth on a shaft in the gearbox.

Well got it wrong it is there in neutral too and increases when the revs increase. Actually it would be a tappit noise if it wasn't coming from gearbox area instead of the engine. Only time it goes is when vehicle stood still in neutral and I rev the engine.

Well got rid of the noise. Trying to sort another problem with incorrect speedo readin. Fitted new cable and the noise has disappeared. Didn't solve speedo problem but l can tick another job off my long list of to do jobs.