Any experts on Toyota diesels? Need a donor.

Hi folks.

I've not got the best of knowledge on Toyota diesels and the internet is full of confusing code numbers with few applications listed - so hoping someone can help. I'm looking for a specific donor engine for my bizarre new project and could do with some advice.

• I'm really looking for an engine that could be considered a bit of a stalwart - something that has been around for years in the UK in various guises and there is little fear of parts supplies drying up.
  • The engine should be common and relatively inexpensive - with donors in the scrapyard.
  • I'd like an engine that can be rebuild/rebored in the future.
  • The engine should have bomb-proof reliability.
  • The engine MUST originally have been fitted with Toyota's "R Transmission" by Aisin in a RWD or 4x4 layout.
  • The precedent should be set for being fitted into a tough 4x4 by the factory (Hilux, Land Cruiser, etc).
  • It must be a 4-cylinder, V6 or V8 - not 6-cyl.
  • I'm looking for a 2.4-3.0 turbo diesel.
  • Ideally minimal electronics.

I almost need a Toyota equivalent of a 300TDI/TD5!

Could anyone suggest an appropriate unit?

Many thanks.

This should be fun.

So basically it's gonna be a 4cylinder as that's basically the only option next to the straight 6 diesels. No V6 or older non electronic V8 diesels. No electronics means somewhat older engines.

There's the indirect injected 2LT, a 2.4 4cylinder turbodiesel, I believe it fits the R series gearbox. It does have widely reported head cracking issues though. Good info about it to be found here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2lt-cylinder-head-cross-cut-the-reason-it-cracks-and-fails.762967/

and here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cracked-heads.446238/#post-6206724

This engine is found in Toyota LJ70 LandCruisers.

Then there's the direct injected 1KZT, a 3litre turbodiesel 4cylinder, I *think* it fits that gearbox as well but not sure. Also head cracking issues but from info I've found less so than the 2LT. Much more power potential with this engine. Found in KZJ70 series Landcruisers, I believe the 90series had the electronic controlled version of this engine.

Toyota and cheap don't go together in the same sentence ;). The LJ70 cruiser can be found anywhere for not much money, most are rusted to bits. Not much of an engine though. Why the limitation to the R series gearbox? With the 5speed H55f gearbox you can fit the bombproof 13BT engine (as found in BJ74 LandCruisers), it's a 3.4 litre 4cylinder direct injected turbodiesel. LOTS of power potential and truly bombproof. Pushrods, timing gears etc. Really good engine, but expensive to buy. Over here they go for €3000+ for the engine alone. Like I said, Toyota and cheap don't go together ;).

Not many other options that I can think of at the top of my head at the moment I'm affraid.

Then there's the direct injected 1KZT, a 3litre turbodiesel 4cylinder, I *think* it fits that gearbox as well but not sure. Also head cracking issues but from info I've found less so than the 2LT. Much more power potential with this engine. Found in KZJ70 series Landcruisers, I believe the 90series had the electronic controlled version of this engine.

The 1KZT is also found in some imported wagons - Surfs etc. The older 1KTZ was mechanical fuel pump, the 'E' designation is electronically controlled - found in later Surfs (1994 ish?), late LC Colorados (J90s) and early 120s...

I had a 1KZTE in my old surf, and it was a brilliant engine - never missed a beat in over 100K miles :)

If you want to stick with old-school 'clockwork' Diesels and transmissions, you could do worse than look at the engines/transmissions fitted to the late-1980s/early-1990s Toyota people-carriers/camper-vans/minibuses/pimp-vans [LiteAce/Granvia].

A lot of these came to the UK as 'grey imports' from Japan a decade or so ago - and they're now ending up in scrapyards as rusted MOT-failures. Plenty of them were both a rather good automatic and permanent-4x4.

If you're prepared to go other-than-Toyota [which could work out significantly cheaper!] look at the "Mazda Bongo Friendee/Ford Montague" and 'Mitsubishi SpaceGear/Delica' grey-import pimp-vans - some of these have up-to-3-litre turbodiesels, permanent 4x4 and nice autoboxes too.

I have a 13bt motor in my BJ71 Land Cruiser (JDM spec). Coupled with the H55f trans it goes like clockwork. Why are you limited to the R series transmissions just out of interest?

Did the 3L-T (Hilux 2.8td) come out with the R series trans? They are a great engine capable of interstellar distances. The 2L-T and 1KZTE motors are very good too but as mentioned, have head cracking issues which pretty much kill them.

The problem (I think) occurs due to a hotspot between 2nd and 3rd cylinders which can be alleviated by fitting a larger diameter exhaust and alloy rad. Or that's what I understand anyway.

Otherwise the good old B series diesels are a pretty safe bet. Very unstressed engines and just keep on chugging.

Thanks guys – some really good info there.

After reading the above and doing a little research the Toyota 1KZT seems to be ideal – the cost mentioned above is a limiting factor but I’ll keep my eyes out.

Sorry if the question sounded cryptic – effectively its for a Moab-inspired Jeep-based buggy. Have a great donor – a 2.5TD Cherokee: bombproof transmission (Dana 30 high pinion and Chrysler 8.25” axles and AX-15/NV231 transmission) but the 2.5 TD has a blown head. The engine was always the weak point being the same VM unit fitted in the Range Rover classic.

Looking for a sensible replacement hence the wish list of features above. The R-gearbox requirement comes from the donor Jeep and a number of other HD 4x4s sharing the same main gearbox (Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F, R151F & R155F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds) – a unit manufactured by GM/Japanese company Aisin – in the buggy it is an AX-15. Luckily all the gearboxes share the same bellhousing to mainbox bolt pattern so there are a huge range of engines that can be fitted simply by swapping the bellhousing and input shaft plus a few sundries.

Toyota isn’t the only alternative, simply my first choice thanks to their reputation for reliability.

However after reading the comment above about Isuzu I started doing some reading. The Trooper used the same gearbox (Isuzu called it an AR5) in their 1991-1995 models. These models came with the 3.0L 4JX1 (mechanical injection) and the 3.1L 4JG2 (electrically controlled mechanical injection). Either engine seems to be readily available and the power is bang on the money.

However I’m not at all familiar with them and don’t know much about spares availability or rebuilding. Plus reliability is absolutely paramount and some of these are a bit questionable.

The 4BD1T however seems to tick all the boxes - iconic. Proven in many 4x4s in (even in the big bad Land Rover Perentie!), relatively efficient, perfect!!! But not sure if it can be fitted to a Trooper AR5 gearbox and, by extension, to a Jeep AX15 gearbox – nor whether it could take the torque.

Still looking. Head’s spinning.

trooper or jeep gearbox wont handle the thump from a 4bd1T . plus its a big lump for a jeep size vehicle , its really too heavy for the front of a landrover , having driven them . better bet would be 4jb1t or later 4jg2t both were regarded as very reliable engines htsh